4x4 question - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-19-2013, 06:13 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
4x4 question

My shift on the fly deal isn't working with the hubs in the auto position, light comes on and my heat will still blow wherever I want it to.

I can put the hubs in lock position and then it will switch in and out of 4wd with the switch...so is it ok to have the hubs locked and drive in 2wd short distances?

Also any clue to my issue to fix this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-19-2013, 07:24 AM
Chapter Director

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Thats fine, u can drive as far as you want, the only reason to not have your hubs locked is fuel economy and wear of you front axle parts. When you lock the hubs but not the transfer case it just means the front axle is spinning as you drive and turning the front drive shaft, but since the transfer case isnt engaged its just meaninglessly spinning. Its just like guys like me who only have manual hubs. we leave it unlocked unless we know theres gonna be some hairy situations we will get out and lock them but leave the t-case in 2wd until we need the 4x4.
Old 04-19-2013, 07:41 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Agreed. But to fix the issue might have something going on with the vacuum supply to front hubs might check that or could be the solinod
Old 04-19-2013, 09:07 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

If your heat is still working properly and not reverting to "defrost" then your vacuum pump is working fine, so the problem is most likely at your hubs.

It could be the hub seals, I had one go bad with only 30k mi. on the truck.
or it could be a leak in one of the vacuum hoses going from either hub up to the vacuum solenoid on the passenger side fender.
Old 04-19-2013, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregsSD View Post
If your heat is still working properly and not reverting to "defrost" then your vacuum pump is working fine, so the problem is most likely at your hubs.

It could be the hub seals, I had one go bad with only 30k mi. on the truck.
or it could be a leak in one of the vacuum hoses going from either hub up to the vacuum solenoid on the passenger side fender.
Thanks guys, good to know...

I guess once its not slopppy slushy snow junk here in MN I'll start with checking the vacuum hoses for leakes or holes.

Im guessing the solenoid is for the vacuum pump and if either of those are bad your heat blows out the defrost which my heat Does Not revert to.

So im pretty much narrowed down to a leak in the line from pump to hub or something wrong with hub(s)?
Old 04-25-2013, 05:59 AM
Serving Our Country!

Pretty much. Rubber lines might've gone bad or may have got themselves disconnected from snow and such. Otherwise there's a plastic disc inside the hub that looks like a cross that the vacuum solenoid pulsates to engage you ESOF. I've had them crack and get worn to the point the last time they broke, I switched over to Warn Manual Lockers and disconnected my vacuum lines and plugged them so they didn't interfere anymore
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.