Limited Slip Isn't Working - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2013, 02:27 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Limited Slip Isn't Working

So I'm not real tech savy on the whole differential thing. I have a 2007 F-250 2WD and have noticed that when I do a burn out only one tire spins whether its in the mud sand or dry pavement. I have gotten stuck in sand a couple of times and and only one wheel was spinning. I thought a LSD was suppose to prevent that from happening. Is my Limited Slip working properly? Sure hope someone can help me here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-27-2013, 02:46 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Limited Slip Isn't Working

It's possible too much friction modifier was put into the oil.
Old 01-27-2013, 11:15 PM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
The LS in these trucks sucks. Basically it's a clutch that applies some friction to get power to both wheels. If one wheel has good traction and the other has none, it won't help. If both have poor traction, then you should see both wheels spinning. If you want to have both wheels spin all the time then you need to look into a locker.
Old 01-28-2013, 06:06 AM
Premium Member

You need some division of traction such as 90:10ish or it only sends power to the spinning wheel. So, in your example, if your burn-out was pulling, it should engage. If it is really just spinning in place (like stuck in snow), you probably will get nothing on the other wheel. Exactly the opposite of what you want or need! Jack stand it and turn the wheel by hand. If they both go in the same direction you have limited slip and it possibly still works, well maybe! Change the fluid, and while the cover is off have a look for worn or broken parts. Make sure you have the correct amount and type of friction modifier. Burn-outs on pavement are very hard on limited slip units. Since it is 2wd, a locker won't really help you unless you drag-race or tow in slightly muddy or slippery conditions during the initial pull.
Old 01-28-2013, 06:11 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

We wear the limited slips out on these truck pretty fast at work. They work great at first but most times after 6 months they fail. Now if their is a 25 and under give it 3 months...
Old 01-28-2013, 10:27 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff7043 View Post
So I'm not real tech savy on the whole differential thing. I have a 2007 F-250 2WD and have noticed that when I do a burn out only one tire spins whether its in the mud sand or dry pavement. I have gotten stuck in sand a couple of times and and only one wheel was spinning. I thought a LSD was suppose to prevent that from happening. Is my Limited Slip working properly? Sure hope someone can help me here.
Are you sure it's a Traction Lock rear diff? Not all Super Duty trucks came with that carrier. My XLT 4x4 was a one leg from the factory.
Old 01-28-2013, 04:23 PM
Premium Member

My old one was as well. Who would have thought a 4x4 would come without it.
Old 01-28-2013, 05:36 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

The Ford LS is barely better than an open differential. Doesn't take much for them to stop working entirely. I put mine in the garbage when I swapped gears and went with a TruTrac.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.