U Joints Bad.? Video. please help - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-21-2013, 08:17 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
U Joints Bad.? Video. please help

My truck is an 04 f250 cc, with 200,000 on her. soo i towed a stump grinder about 35miles. No problems, on my Way back no problems. untill i get to the shop, hit a bump feel a vibration. i thought it was a flat, came to a stop and it stopped. Drop my trailer and on my way out it happens again come to a stop and it stops. Seems to only happen under 30mph but over 5mph when i hit a bump. and it will not stop unless i stop or hit another bump. I checked everything. found my u joint has play and my axle seal is leaking. heres a video of what i saw

Bad U Joints 2004 f350 powerstroke - YouTube

Please let me know cuz im replaceing the u joint in an hour and want to make sure that what is is. or what else i could be
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-22-2013, 09:54 PM

my front drive shaft has the same problem, replacing the ujoint should fix the vibration.

how is it coming? im wondering if i should tackle this myself soon

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Old 01-23-2013, 04:54 AM

i got the driveshaft out. its a real pain to actually get the u joint out.
after i got the shaft off it still made the noise tracked it to passenger side wheel and axle bearing. so i took it to the shop. if it would have just been the u joints in the front dshaft id be done, if you know thats the only problem. you can do it your self

to get the shaft off you need a 12mm 12point socket,8mm socket, low profile socket wrench, pb blaster, a screw driver.

MARK with chalk or something the shaft and front differential so it goes back on right and stays balance

put the pb blaster on all the bolts. no go smoke a cig or something while you wait for pb to really get in there.

Then take the 2 straps off where it holds the shaft to front differential, 2 8mm bolts on each side so 4 total,

Then drop the skid plate, right under the driveshaft. i think its 4 10mm bolts

Now you and get the 4 12mm 12pt bolts out.
its a bit tricky
stick a screw driver or something in between the u joints, to stop shaft from spinning, now you put the socket on there. use it to break the bolts theres no space to take them out with the socket if you try you will get it stuck. after your break the bolts use a 12mm 12pt end of the wrench. to get them fully out.

now all the bolts are out and the shaft will not come down. if you look close around where the 4 12mm bolts you just took out will be another hole you can get a flat head in and pry lightly. the hole is half covered by the shaft end and when you put the flat head in there you separate the shaft from where you took them 12pt 12mm bolts out

for the differential part, hit it with a rubber mallet a few times if it does not come lose then you have to lightly pry it, not to much force something can break, and make sure you have a good place to pry from

Once you get it out use needle nose pliers and pb blaster and a flat screw driver

spary pb on the clips holding the u joints in then use plyers to open it up and pry it out with a screw driver. theres 4 clips for each u joint. 8 total

once you do that, some how press the old u joints out, using a vise or a press or something. or take it to a shop and have them do it and put it together and you reinstall it your self.

good luck. i do most work my self and always encourage some one to do it the self. you learn alot and its a great feeling gettin in your truck and gettin down the road knowing your fixed it and you did it right.

Let me know how thing go. if you need a tip let me know. im here to help

Last edited by 6.0guy; 01-23-2013 at 05:32 AM.
Old 01-23-2013, 05:18 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews

FYI just for future reference. What you are calling the transfer case is the differential.
The transfer case is what mounts to your transmission to allow power from the transmission to be sent to both front and rear axles.

Old 01-23-2013, 05:31 AM

Yeah my fault i didnt even realize that, i meant the front differential.
Old 01-23-2013, 05:33 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews

No worries. Jst figured wld mention it as YouTube has people with a tendency to trash you when you describe something incorrectly.

Old 01-23-2013, 08:35 AM

wow, thats pretty descriptive thanks. im a truck apprentice so im capable, but after fixing other peoples **** all day the last thing i want is to come home and fix my own. i just gotta suck it up and do it, i was almost gonna buy a whole new shaft so i wouldnt have to worry about screwing with it.

Old 01-23-2013, 08:59 AM

no problem, its not to bad getting the shaft out, the pain is the u joints. like you said your a truck apprentice so you should have no problem. if can find a good used driveshaft go with that, if not just replace the joint, a brand new shaft is a little bit over $800 from ford
if you can take the u joints out at the shop, or bring it to one to have them do it, if you cant get em out or like you said you dont wanna fool with it. you can drive your truck with out the shaft in there if you take it out and need to drive it to drive it somewhere to do it or get it done
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.