Someone please help me figure out the problem with my brakes!!! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-18-2013, 02:26 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Someone please help me figure out the problem with my brakes!!!

Well i changed the rear brake lines and it seemed fine for a couple of days, until now. Got home from and the right rear is smoking hot again. Can barely touch the wheel! Here is a list of everything that has been done:

Brand new calipers on all four corners, rear brake pads and rotors, rear brake lines. These are all OEM parts.

The right rear continues to lock up intermittently. I'm lost!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-17-2013, 04:23 PM

That funny mine is haveing same problem just replaced my right.rear caliper.last week got home today and noticed its starting to.stick again, this is after relaced rear brake line gravity bled all for calipers at once until all clear fluid was coming out before installing new calipers, cleaned, all slides and new slide pins with new boots and greased them new hard ware put back on same as factory lube all contact and slide point pray on brake quiet bled all for new calipers starting with.drside front ,pass front ,driver side back pass ,side back drove for a week and fine until today could smell.it getting hot, Again is not draging yet but getting hot.
I have heard of some trucks having dirt or somthing in reservoir and causing a front caliper to.drag because the front comes off booster with separate lines but back is fed with one that splits on the rear diff
So why akwsys the pass side caliper , also replaced brake lines in back with new from back tee out. So im stumped and all.of.my.old slide.pins cam off with.no problems. Hope some one has figured this out have hear this before just havent tried to find anything on it. Thought i had it fixed with this brake job.
Sorry to rant but if i hear anything or fig it.out will def post.it.for.you.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 05-17-2013, 05:12 PM

I had trouble with my calipers sticking I switched to aftermarket brands and been trouble free since
Old 05-18-2013, 04:14 AM

Just a thought did you check to.see if your ebrakes are clean and working free they are in side the rear rotors. Slide the rotor of like a drum brake and check.for.broken hardware clean and lube everything. Make sure adjuster is working and cable running up front is working free if you live up north. Maybe have rust on it.

Old 05-18-2013, 04:34 AM

Did you have the same one sticking or just random mine is always the.pass side rear and this would be my 4th caliper on the pass side rear

Old 05-18-2013, 11:12 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Sounds like you need to replace your master cylinder. What's going on is your getting bleed by from the front to rear valve body inside it. I fought the same issue for over a year. I replaced my RR 3x LR 2x and new ones on the front, replaced all hoses from frame to calipers, the Tee and line across the rear axle, bleed the hydro booster multiple times, and still didn't fix my caliper from locking up. Did the MC, been good for a year now.

Old 05-18-2013, 02:08 PM

I've seen that on boosters that control all individual brake calipers and the the f250s did have some problems with that "i've heard" but on the fronts my truck runs a single line to the back brake calipers and splits to right and left with a tee on the axle with hard lines until you get to the rubber line at caliper, and have replaced everything from the tee out to calipers with ford stuff.
also brake pedal feels really good even on hard stops and anti lock still working correctly. shouldn't i get a slow pulse from the anti lock if it was "the brake booster/master cylinder", getting bleed bye. And would guess that it would also affect both rear brakes not just one side.
well im pretty sure I have some line pressure gauges i can connect to the brake lines right in front of the master cylinder to see if it is pressurising the back brakes without the pedal being mashed.
But before I do that i think i'm gonna check ebrake on that side again i was kinda in a hurry when i did it last time. maybe I missed something.
Old 05-18-2013, 02:15 PM

Hey I just thought of something the days that you notice it dragging did you do a lot of backing up or use your E Brake Did you check your E brake shoes when doing the brake pad replacement. If you had a shoe dragging in there it would act and smell very much like a dragging caliper.

Sorry for all the post but hope some of this may be of some help to you.
Old 05-24-2013, 05:24 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
U figure it out.

Old 05-24-2013, 05:51 PM

I.fig my problem.out.dont know if original poster fig.his problem out my issue was the calipers sucking air through the bleeder valves, the threads some high temp thread seal and problem gone.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.