FYI to anyone with a 4wd - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2013, 01:13 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
FYI to anyone with a 4wd

I have a 2007 F250 4x4, yesterday me and the Fam went up to the snow. put it in 4 high and then later 4 low everything worked great. When we were done the truck would not come out of four-wheel-drive , Stuck in 4 low. No matter what I did nothing worked . I ended up taking the actuator motor off of the transfer case and manually putting it into 2 wd. Worked on it today and found the 4x4 relays and they were mounted up side down next to the battery driver side the relay cover acted as a pool for water to collect in. Took the relays apart and they were so corroded they had to be replaced. I pulled the little tab and popped the relay box out and flipped it right side up and it snapped right back in almost as if it was accidentally put upside down from the factory. I've had the truck since brand-new and I've never taken it to have any work done to it that might have caused that to happen. anyone else have this experience? Here is a picture.
FYI to anyone with a 4wd-imageuploadedbyautoguide1357510327.256496.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Brent Beeler For This Useful Post:
Jeff-F350 (04-22-2014), kcoyner (01-12-2014)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2013, 01:53 PM

Thanks for showing that. I just had both relays replaced. I pulled them today and made sure everything was clean and put a light coating of grease on the contacts to prevent corosion. Good info.

Last edited by motorman173; 01-07-2013 at 01:56 PM.
Old 01-07-2013, 03:03 PM

Brent, Thanks for sharing that, I just went and checked mine and its right side up and the relays look clean and dry.

Motorman, did replacing those relays fix your problem with the no lights and no engagement?? Guess Ill have to check my Dads 03 this weekend.
Old 01-07-2013, 03:40 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Good info thanks

Sent from my phone
Old 01-07-2013, 03:59 PM

Brent -- any chance they got jacked up during a battery replacement?
Old 01-07-2013, 04:01 PM

Yes . Replacing both relays got it working again. You can try swapping them first. they are the same. They are also the same as the horn and wiper relays under the dash. Just found that out today. One is for engaging the transfer case, the other is to disengage. probably best to change them both. If one is bad the other is probably not far behind.
Old 01-07-2013, 04:21 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Odd how threads get started at just the right time. I wrapped a strap around a stump this past Saturday and backed up to it, selected 4 low and out she came. Then I sat in the backyard all afternoon stuck in low range. I finally got it to shift and I kinda forgot about it....until now. I'll check relays tomorrow. What ever happened to a stick in the floor?

Sent from my DROID X2 using AutoGuide.Com Free App
Old 01-07-2013, 05:02 PM

I agree.I prefer the old floor shift too but I bought mine used. It is what it is. It does seem like a pretty delicate set up for such a Heavy Duty truck though. If I was ordering a new one I would opt for the lever. Good luck getting yours working.
Old 01-07-2013, 08:21 PM

No problem guys hope it helps some one. @ snake, doesn't look like it could have happened with a battery replacement, looked like it was put on upside down from the factory the wires were coming out of the top and the relays were facing straight down yet the relay housing was snapped securely into the bracket and the cover was holding water submerging the relays. I simply unclip the relay housing pulled it off of the bracket and reinstalled it the correct way. Haven't put the new relays in yet to see if it works but I'm pretty sure it will.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App
Old 01-07-2013, 10:51 PM
Serving Our Country!

Thanks for posting this. I've hear of a few ppl complain at teh dunes that their super duty is stuck in 4WD and dnt know what to do.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.