4X4 vacum trouble - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-09-2012, 09:50 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
4X4 vacum trouble

So I just bought my 2005 F-250 a few weeks ago and during the test drive I made sure the 4X4 worked. I just got my truck back from getting the studs/egr/etc work done and now it won't engage 4X4 without my locking the hubs manually.

I dont know too much about the vacum system but I did find this spot under the hood that looks like something should connect to. I dont see a hose laying around anywhere though.

Could this be it and if so where should I look for the other end?

Thank
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-09-2012, 10:27 AM
Illiana Chapter Director

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Nothing connects to that. Did they pull the cab when the work was done?
Old 12-09-2012, 01:57 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

On the passenger's side of the engine compartment there is a round looking item about the size of a football. If the cab was taken off they unplugged the vacuum pump, which is the football looking thing, they probably forgot to plug it back it. I would start by looking for any unplugged electrical connections on that side of the engine compartment. Although, if it's unplugged your hvac controls might not work right.
Old 12-09-2012, 06:29 PM

I found the problem, the line was broken where it goes under the engone from the right to left hub. I could not find a small enough fitting to fix it so I bought a piece of tubing with an inside diameter about the same as the outside diameter of the stock tubing. I stuck both ends of the stock tubing inside of the it and put heat shrink around the whole thing. Seems to be working now.

Thanks for the responses.
Old 12-09-2012, 07:09 PM
Illiana Chapter Director

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by frdbronco8 View Post
I found the problem, the line was broken where it goes under the engone from the right to left hub. I could not find a small enough fitting to fix it so I bought a piece of tubing with an inside diameter about the same as the outside diameter of the stock tubing. I stuck both ends of the stock tubing inside of the it and put heat shrink around the whole thing. Seems to be working now.

Nice
Old 12-10-2012, 05:18 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:

Glad it was an easy fix. I am going to be doing ARP studs here in the next month or so and reading about small issues like this helps. Thanks..
Old 12-17-2012, 03:25 PM
Premium Member

Sorry to hijack but my 4wd won't work right now either. I know it's vacuum, I did the studs and gaskets (cab on) this last summer and now it's not engaging the front hubs. 4wd works when hubs are locked. I'm not sure if I connected all the lines back properly. Does anyone have a diagram or pictures of what the pump and all the hoses should look like? I think I hear the driver side hub do something when I turn the switch to 4 .
Old 12-17-2012, 03:39 PM

A diagram would be nice, until then I found it easiest to start at the hubs and work my way back looking for the break.
Old 12-17-2012, 03:42 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
A diagram would be nice, until then I found it easiest to start at the hubs and work my way back looking for the break.
Yeah, that sounds like my best bet too. I just hope I made all the right hose connections at the solenoid and pump.
Old 02-04-2013, 03:35 PM

Well mine is not working again and this time I cant find the break... Guess I will have a new truck with 1960 4X4 technology...... Starting to wonder if I made the right choice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.