Front wheel hubs - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old 09-25-2012, 09:12 AM Thread Starter
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Front wheel hubs

Well I have 2006 f350 it has the manuel shifter for 4wd and the oem style hubs the other day I started to get a grinding noise so I crawled user the truck found I had the hubs locked not sure for how long. But now with the hubs unlocked the noise doesn't occur so much and has some vibration when driving down a bumpy road. Well I crawled under it again checked my u joints on the axles and greased them I put I pry bar between the knuckle of the axle and lower ball joint and it seems to be able to move up and down on both sides not sure if this is normal but hoping someone out there knows before I try to tackle this job.

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide

2006 f350 eclb 6 speed, powermax, billet compressor wheel, valair dual disk, 4in to 6in cat stack, afe magnum force stage 2, airdog 150, xdp sump, zoodad mod, sinister coolant filter, gauges egt oil temp and fuel pressure, cfm carbon fiber and metal cold side tub, blue spring, bpd ficm, moto metal 959 18x9 wrapped with cooper at3, custom shift knob from lilpooh, Polk audio all the way around, dashboss for monitoring
post #2 of 4 Old 12-25-2012, 02:33 PM
Premium Member

Movement of the ball joint!?!?

~1973 F250 Highboy
~2003 F350 Super Duty XLT FX4 6.0 Powerstroke
4.56 Yukon Gears,Detroit Locker,37x13.5x17 Interco Super Swamper M16,8in Custom Lift,Bilstein 5125 Custom Valved Shocks (Triple Front/Dual Rear),Fabtech Dual Rear Shock Kit/Traction Bars,ARP Head Studs, Sinister Headers/Y Pipe/Regulated Return,175 cc Injectors,Edge Juice Platinum with Attitude,SCT Tunes,Snow Performance Stage 3 Water Methanol Injection,FASS 150/180,Banks Techni-cooler System,Fluidampr,4in Straight Pipes.
post #3 of 4 Old 12-25-2012, 02:42 PM

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 673 Post(s)
the grinding sounds like those u joints in the front end

verify the manual hubs are actually releasing by grabbing the u joint inside the knuckle and turning by hand

as far as Ball joints how many miles on them .. but moment isn't usually good

Please donate to DTR Ron's Memorial
https://www.gofundme.com/2464axqr
We Miss you Ronnie
RIP
post #4 of 4 Old 12-25-2012, 03:06 PM Thread Starter
Compression Ignition Addict

Yeah I forgot to update this it ended up being my e brake sticking and it was rubbing the inside of the rotor making it sing pretty good beat it back and all is well again. Thanks anyways

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

2006 f350 eclb 6 speed, powermax, billet compressor wheel, valair dual disk, 4in to 6in cat stack, afe magnum force stage 2, airdog 150, xdp sump, zoodad mod, sinister coolant filter, gauges egt oil temp and fuel pressure, cfm carbon fiber and metal cold side tub, blue spring, bpd ficm, moto metal 959 18x9 wrapped with cooper at3, custom shift knob from lilpooh, Polk audio all the way around, dashboss for monitoring

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode