Front end trouble - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-17-2012, 01:38 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Front end trouble

At wits end and looking for some info. 04 f350 4x4, When taking a corner, left or right mostly right, the steering wheel wants to jump out of my hand & move back and forth. Doesn't do it every time. The right hub keeps coming apart. Took the Warn hubs out and it still happens. Ball joints are good,front end linkage feels good along with axle u joints. Had it up on a lift at a garage and can't find anything wrong. Any help would be great. Thank, Rob
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-17-2012, 10:05 PM

I think your referring to what is know as bump steer. I would have the alignment checked.

Don't have an answer for the hub issue.
Old 07-18-2012, 07:31 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Are you lifted? if you are, how much, how long had it been installed. Any other mods to the suspension or other components.

Sent from my PC36100 using AutoGuide.Com Free App
Old 07-18-2012, 01:26 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

not lifted, everything stock, finding out now it doesn't have to be that sharp of a turn and heard bang or clank in front end. At one point even after i straightened out the wheel it still shook back and forth at 10 miles per hour. Stopped and started 3 or 4 times and it wouldn't stop doing it. Then it stopped and i don't know why. New tires 15000 miles ago and rotated last week. Could the shock on the front end be bad? At a loss.
Old 07-19-2012, 06:18 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

More Info. Put it up on jack stands today and when i rotate right tire back and forth in 1 spot the u joint turns and the steering linkage moves back and forth. The hubs are out. The clip on the spline is not where it belongs. Second time i've found the clip out of the groove. That would explain why the hub is coming apart. What could cause the axle to pop the clip out?
Old 07-19-2012, 06:58 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I'm not the best person to give you advise, but I'll give it a try. I'm assuming your talking about the clip that holds the washers on behind your lockout hub. My guesses, could be a worn out clip, not holding the proper tension to keep itself on. I'd also check the groove it slides into on your outer shaft, make sure the splines aren't rounded on that edge where the clip goes. I could see the clip sliding out of the groove and onto the splines that way. Or maybe it hasn't been installed all the way. I used a small pry bar around the inner C to help push the shaft out a bit, then a flat head screw driver to push the clip into place. Should hear a little "snap" as it goes down. Also make sure all your spacers are on there before installing the clip. Should be, metal washer, plastic washer, metal washer, then clip. This might give you some help. Maybe someone else has a different idea. I just did both my hubs, again, so it's pretty fresh in my head...

Sent from my PC36100 using AutoGuide.Com Free App
Old 07-24-2012, 01:55 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Found the trouble with the front end, Bad u joint in the right side axle. Depending where the u joint was sitting you could not turn the steering by hand. With the truck running and turning the steering wheel it would pop that clip out and then the axle would move in and out along with the steering linkage creating a wobble. Just thought I'd let ya know. Thanks for the suggestions. Rob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.