Rear brake pistons seem stuck on one side - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-27-2012, 04:33 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Rear brake pistons seem stuck on one side

I drove my truck a week ago and noticed once parked that the driver's side rear was hot, I heard a ticking noise so walked around the truck and could tell this wheel was too hot so I finally got time to look at it this week and I see that the other side had a leaking hub seal so I've pulled the hubs had the rotors turned and all.

I used a C-clamp and pressed the pistons in on the passenger side caliper without much pressure at all then went to the drivers side and could not get either piston to move much, if any. I applied even pressure to each piston so not to **** it but it's like there's hydraulic pressure keeping it from pressing in. It appears both rear calipers are plumbed together so if a valve upstream wasn't letting fluid return to the reservoir then the other side shouldn't have pressed in so easily should it I didn't think to try opening the bleed valve to see if I could press them in with it open. Note this is the side that seemed to have stuck the other day. Both sides had the pads worn down just before getting to the metal so the pistons were fully extended.

Any ideas or something I'm over looking?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-27-2012, 04:50 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

All I got to say is replace the whole caliper along with pads and rotor of it worn out. I had the same problem on my drivers side back wheel. U see there's 2 pins that the caliper slides on. If those pins seize then the caliper is going to stick. Below is what will eventually happen. This happened when my caliper was stuck for a long time. If u want to back the pistons off. Open the bleeder valve it's easier although I backed mine off without having to do so. If ur pistons don't want to go back u might need a new caliper. If u have anymore ?s I'm here to help

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app
Attached Thumbnails
Rear brake pistons seem stuck on one side-imageuploadedbyautoguide1340844329.630546.jpg  
Old 06-27-2012, 04:56 PM

That was my first thought of the slide pins maybe sticking but after I pulled it apart I see the slide pins are very smooth. Just curious of what all could be keeping the pistons from being pressed back in, they don't look mis aligned or anything. It'll be friday before I get back over to work on it but I'll try opeing the bleed valve to see if it's hydraulic pressure holding them out or if they are hanging in the piston cups for some reason.
Old 06-28-2012, 07:29 PM

Old 08-16-2012, 08:27 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I and my father in law both have 05's i bought mine with both rear calipers seized and i have done both my father in laws too its a common thing on these trucks i hear. The in laws went one by one more then 6 months inbetween but when they did sieze you knew it that rim and hub were hot (long trips to work) and it was even smoking due too the hub seal melted and leaked, so i would look at them to and do them at the same time if your inthere cuz it s not hard to do seals if you got the right tools
Old 08-16-2012, 08:32 AM

my neighbor wore his rotor down to the cooling fins when his caliper seized

I got him the part #'s from autozone for a loaded caliper .. it has all new hardware /pins/crush washers etc around $60 rotor was about the same $
Old 08-16-2012, 08:36 AM

Replace the caliper with pads and a rotor. Calipers freezeing happens more then people think. We replac3 probably 12 to 13 calipers a week. Its old and tired lol:thumbup:
Old 08-16-2012, 08:41 AM

the 6.4 caliper in the pic has dual pistons ?

My 06 doesn't IIRC I wonder if you could swap ,, or if it would be worth it ?
or if I am tarded and just can't remember if we have duals lol
Old 08-16-2012, 09:03 AM

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to jimmyv13 Send a message via Yahoo to jimmyv13
I just did my rear brakes....open the bleeder, use a c clamp or a large pair of channel locks and put the old brake pad against the 2 pistons so they move together. They should move back with some pressure.
Old 08-16-2012, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyv13 View Post
I just did my rear brakes....open the bleeder, use a c clamp or a large pair of channel locks and put the old brake pad against the 2 pistons so they move together. They should move back with some pressure.
My passenger side pistons pushed back in easily this way but the drivers side was stuck. I sprung open a C-clamp putting so much force on it trying to push them back in. I even tried to push them in again when the caliper was removed from the truck and brake line but these pistons were stuck. I change this caliper out with one from AutoZone as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.