Truck felt like it was dragging a ship anchor-Seizing Rear Brakes - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-07-2012, 06:12 AM
Craig

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Truck felt like it was dragging a ship anchor-Seizing Rear Brakes

New member relaying stories about my truck. Last year I was plagued with a seemingly intermittent issue that basically felt like the truck was suddenly dragging a HUGE weight. It never started out that way, but any appreciable distant drive (10mi or greater?) the truck frame would shake some and I could feel some force "holding it back". This wasn't my daily driver, so the natural flow of troubleshooting took a while to get through. Additional symptoms were the smell of something VERY HOT when I arrived at my destination and less obvious till I started playing with it (read troubleshooting) was when at a red light, with tranny in drive and no brake applied the truck would NOT creep forward. AHAH! Had to be the brakes. A quick run around the truck and I found the back wheels hotter than I thought they should be. So, bleed brakes about 11.670149 times and deside that isn't it since it was still acting like this. Finally convinced myself I would have to removed the wheels and use my eyes. WOW! Whodathunk that the caliper pistons would have eroded(?) like they did. See pics. The brakes/disk would warm up and then start seizing as things got hotter from use and rubbing while driving. Changed calipers, bled the brakes and THEN I couldn't get the pedal to firm up AT ALL. Mind you, this is SOOOO not my first rodeo. I scratch my head, bleed some more and then step back cause somtin ain't right. Go to the forums in search of higher education. Found it. I followed in the footsteps of others and put the right caliper on the left and left caliper on the right. It is VERY important to get them on the correct side because physics STILL apply when bleeding brakes! The bleeder must be on top where the trapped air would be! Told all two of my friends and we had a great laugh at stupidity these days! Truck drove, crept and stopped like it was designed after that.
Attached Thumbnails
Truck felt like it was dragging a ship anchor-Seizing Rear Brakes-img_3146.jpg   Truck felt like it was dragging a ship anchor-Seizing Rear Brakes-img_3148.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-08-2012, 07:05 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Lol when I replaced my rear caliper it fell into 10+ peices.
Old 06-25-2012, 01:54 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

So you don't feel alone... I had to leave my F350 parked for a few months over a real boneheaded move - replaced the FICM power supply, one of the plugs came loose while I was screwing the new setup in place and I didn't notice that. Duh! No wonder I couldn't get any codes out of it.

Anyway, once I figured that out and got it going, I took it for a quick run to town and back, about 15 miles. By the time I got home the left front and right rear discs were glowing red - calipers had seized up from sitting all that time. A few shots of penetrating oil got them loose, but I'm getting ready just to replace all four calipers. Better to do it at home while I can, than to have brake trouble coming down a hill with a few tons behind me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.