Put on new rims with 37" tires, sometimes shakes when stopping - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-29-2012, 10:46 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Put on new rims with 37" tires, sometimes shakes when stopping

Just wondering if anyone could chime in. The few results I got pointed to warped brake rotors but this issue just happened when I put on the 37's.
If Im driving a normal speed in the city (50-60km) then its fine...but once I hit highway speeds, all is fine until I start braking a bit hard (coming to a stop light going down a hill). The shake is in the steering wheel and the passenger feels his legs bouncing.

Could it be that I need a better steering stabilizer? Rebalanced tires? Different tire pressure (what would you recommend?)

As I said, issue JUST happened after putting large tires on.

Last edited by jaggermouth; 02-29-2012 at 10:49 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-01-2012, 10:31 AM

Just noticed (since its light out) that the rear axle is leaking oil on to my brake caliper/rotor.
Is this the seal that can be replaced by just removing the 8 bolts and sliding the shaft out?
Old 03-02-2012, 06:05 PM

Sounds like warped rotors. And on the backs, bad hub seals. U need to remove the axle shaft and hub to replace and need a tool from auto parts store to remove hub spindle nut
Old 03-02-2012, 06:25 PM

Been driving the truck maybe 10km a day since I posted. The shaking doesn't happen anymore (assuming oil coated the rotors when I had the truck on stands).
I will be doing the ball joints and rear seals ASAP though, looking forward to getting that done but will probably do pads and rotors at the same time.
Old 03-03-2012, 01:05 AM
Premium Member

Support the front axle on a jack stand, put a meter or so long board under the tire about mid tread and lift up, any vertical tire movement indicates worn ball joints. Have someoen watch the ball joints while you lift up on the board, it won't take much pressure to find your answer. Although getting the ball joints out requires a press. If I didn't have access to one, I was going to send my knuckles to a machine shop to have them pressed out/in.

Also, the hub and unit bearing can come off WITH the axle shaft. I saved time doing it that way. Undo the four bolts from the back side, use a puddy knife to start the seperation, put rotor on backwards with 4 loose lugs, and use it as a slide hammer!
Old 03-03-2012, 04:28 PM

What's the best place to get ball joints and seals? Anyone have any experience with fordsuperdutyparts.com? $323 for everything but they don't answer emails.
Local parts store wants around $77 for uppers and $110 for lowers...each...
Old 03-03-2012, 04:35 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaggermouth View Post
What's the best place to get ball joints and seals? Anyone have any experience with fordsuperdutyparts.com? $323 for everything but they don't answer emails.
Local parts store wants around $77 for uppers and $110 for lowers...each...
I got the best Moog had to offer from Rock Auto dot com for right at $200. I didn't worry about those axle seals, I haven't seen many Super Duties that have them in the right place.
Old 03-03-2012, 04:52 PM

Not sure if I want to tear everything apart and not do some seals while Im at it. I've done the front end on my e99 so Im aware of the procedure to do the ball joints
Old 03-03-2012, 07:15 PM

Would anyone else suggest leaving the seals? What's the consequence, a possible vacuum leak which will give me ESOF problems?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.