vibration at 65mph and oil on my diff?? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-15-2012, 05:44 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
vibration at 65mph and oil on my diff??

Iv noticed my truck has been getting a slipping and jolting feeling only at cruising highway speeds, i figured it might be my u joints so i crawled under to check for play only to find no play in the u joints however when i looks at the rear diff i noticed a black oily line (leak) that clearly came from the flang just behind the rear u joint at the diff. I am wondering if this vibration may be low diff fluid keeping in mind that the truck only acts up when i let it shift to overdrive at highway speeds any help would be great thanks guys
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-15-2012, 05:51 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I know this isn't any help to you but I just started to notice a slight vibration starting at 70 mph and crawled under the truck and saw a line of oil on the diff as well. Funny thing is my driveshaft and oil seal were replaced not long ago. So not sure what's going on.

Sent from my Autoguide iPad app
Old 02-15-2012, 06:55 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

iv done some searching around and got some other peoples input, iv been told that the leak is from the pinion seal a cheap $120 fix. However the vibrations at the 65mph over drive gear i cant really explain, my only hopes are that the diff didnt drain to the point where the damage is to far gone to the diff. With no play in the u joints im stumped??
Old 02-16-2012, 05:34 AM

Yeah, I only feel it when it's in overdrive and 70+ mph, stumped as well.
Old 03-01-2012, 10:21 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Mine was the same way for the last few months and now my diff is really bad.On mine it's most noticeable when it shifts to overdrive but as it gets worse I'm feeling it all the time.Now it's at the point when it shifts to overdrive the truck bucks and bangs.I'm finding this to be a some what common problem with these trucks.Timken has a rebuild kit for about $300.
Old 03-02-2012, 06:09 PM

Oil where the driveshaft and diff meet usually means bad pinion seal. Check oil in it and I would pop off the rear cover and inspect gears and everything.
Old 03-08-2012, 11:35 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

While you're checking, take a look at your carrier bearing as well. Better yet, when you decide to replace the pinion seal, go ahead and replace the carrier bearing along with your U-Joints.

My carrier bearing went BOOM last month while pulling my 25' gooseneck (fully loaded). Luckily just the rubber bushing came apart so there was no real damage. I replaced the carrier and the u-joints with high end greasables.

Prior to the carrier going out, I began to notice a slight vibration that got worse when I lifted. The vibration came on about 60 miles prior to the failure. I wasn't in a situation where I could stop at the time.

Good luck to you.
Old 03-30-2012, 05:27 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I've only had my 06 250 for a little under a week now, not really to familiar with where everything is...so where is the pinion seal and carrier bearing ? When im on the highway about 60+ mph at crusing speed it vibrates as well, but when I open it up it clears up. I let one of friends who also has a 6.0 said he thinks it might be a steering issue (alignment ect..). Any chace it could be that, any adive would be appreciated.
Old 03-30-2012, 06:12 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

The carrier bearing is in between the 2 rear pieces of driveshafts.It's also called a hanger bearing because the driveshaft runs through it and hangs from it.The pinion seal is inside the front of the rear end where the yoke from your driveshaft goes in.Driveline vibrations you feel through your seat.Alignment issues come through the steering wheel.The way I check for driveline issues is to block the wheels,put the truck in neutral,crawl under the truck and start shacking and turning the driveshafts looking for play in the u-joints and yokes and listening for cluncks and hard metalic sounding clicks.Hope that helps.
Old 03-30-2012, 06:29 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

it does, gives me somewhere to start at instead of just being in the dark, appreciate the info PS/Fan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.