Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Front End periodically acts weird.

4K views 17 replies 8 participants last post by  westside98 
#1 ·
:help: I have noticed in the last few weeks that periodically the wheel does not like to return and I have to jerk it to unlock it and if you are barely holding the wheel you can feel it quivering back and forth. I have check everything underneath and it is all tight and nothing is worn out. The only thing that I can think this possibly would be is the Steering box. Has anyone else had this problem? Do you know what is causing this and if so what? :help:

#2 ·
Its worth looking into as I have seen others have issues with their steering box. I can't give you any pointers, but someone will see this and get you moving in the right direction:thumb:

#3 ·
+1 on checking the steering gear box... may have something wrong with the gears inside the box if its getting stuck..

as far as the wobbly wheel while driving, that is usually worn out ball joints, shocks, things like that... also reminds me of the way my NON power steering car acted b/c it would always want to follow the grooves/bumps/whatever of the road..

#4 ·
Thanks for the input. I unfortunately owned a dodge at one point and I had steering box problems with that and after checking everything else this seems like the only logical explanation, but you never know and I don't want to go spending all kinds of money on a problem that I think it might be.

#5 ·
I was a tech along time ago, but, as a rule of thumb it was the p/s pump knows no direction. If it is failing you will have the same problems whether you turn right or left. If the problem is happening to one side, the spool valve inside the steering box becomes a suspect. Hope this can shed some light.

#6 ·
^^^^ That would make sense going back to what I was saying about my NON power steering car -- you could feel the car steering "wobble" going down the hwy b/c there was no PS pump in between..

or maybe not....

#8 ·
Hope all you had to do was add fluid.................

Thank you for the input. I appreciate all of the help and I will look into the power steering Pump. It definitely makes sense from what you say and I noticed that the power steering fluid level was low. Thanks:thumb:
Hey Girl,

I sure hope that the only thing wrong was low fluid levels---Lord forbid you have to replace the power steering gearbox...............just got bitten by that bug myself to the tune of about $800.00 :(

Regards,

Jerry

#9 ·
:help:Ok so adding fluid did not seem to help the issue. I was going to order a power steering pump since I am fully convinced that is what the problem is. My question to everyone is; is it a pain in the butt to do? I was planning on doing this myself, but I have not worked on trucks much just my mustang. I hate to take things to the garage if I am perfectly capable of doing this myself. Please give me any info that may be of help before I decide to tear things apart myself. Thanks :)

#10 ·
It could be just a stiff u-joint on one side. I have the same problem now on my truck. Driving it with the front hubs locked stop the problem but I feel a vibration when I drive. I am going to check the u-joint this weekend

#11 ·
I felt something similar to this today, was on my way to get a new degas cap, and just checked all my fluids after i left Ford , took the on ramp to the Highway and it felt like my power steering shut down for a second i hit the brakes a little and she kicked back on what gives ?

#15 ·
You might want to try a powersteering flush. It helped my 6.0 tremedously when I did it. You can search for it upthere and there are a few walkthrough's. Just remember the 6.0 uses trans fluid not power steering fluid in the power steering system and the brake booster. Also remember to pump your brakes a couple of times during the flush so that you flish your brake booster also.

Sent from my GT-P5113 using AutoGuide App

#17 ·
Your welcome. It might not fix your particular problem but it helped all kind of steering on mine.

Sent from my GT-P5113 using AutoGuide App

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.