Blowing Bubbles - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-2012, 08:16 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Blowing Bubbles

On my 05 f-350 I have to get out and turn the hubs to lock, I thought I had a vacuum leak somewhere and I checked all lines and pump but no leak, vent moves to defrost when I turn electric switch to 4wd, so I gave up looking for the problem till one day I was going through deep mud and water, when I got to where I wasn't going to need 4x4 anymore, I got out to turn hubs back to auto and when I did the letters FORD on hub lock outs started blowing bubbles ( when I turned them to auto ) which now makes me think my vacuum leak is on the inside of my hubs, or that I need to replace the hub dials. Any ideals ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2012, 08:29 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRILLROCK View Post
On my 05 f-350 I have to get out and turn the hubs to lock, I thought I had a vacuum leak somewhere and I checked all lines and pump but no leak, vent moves to defrost when I turn electric switch to 4wd, so I gave up looking for the problem till one day I was going through deep mud and water, when I got to where I wasn't going to need 4x4 anymore, I got out to turn hubs back to auto and when I did the letters FORD on hub lock outs started blowing bubbles ( when I turned them to auto ) which now makes me think my vacuum leak is on the inside of my hubs, or that I need to replace the hub dials. Any ideals ?
I had the same issue with my SD. My vents would never shift from defrost wich is the "failsafe" factory default when you have an issue. The vents are vaccuum controled and so are your auto hubs, and obviously you have an issue with the hubs. IMHO you should not waste your time with the factory garbage they put in there. My very first upgrade was the warn locking hubs. I found them at a local shop for around 300 bucks in Canada so you should be able to find them quite a bit cheaper. Lifetime warranty if I'm not mistaken. Bout a year later I clued in.. My hubs were pooched, my heater has been stuck on defrost for a while.. I then deleted the lines that went down to the hubs from the vaccuum pump and voila!! About 10 lbs of crap blew out of my vents.
NOW.. you may be able to fix the auto hubs if you would like to keep them or if your strapped for cash, but like I said, I'll take reliability first and I trust warns.
Old 01-16-2012, 08:32 PM
Winning DUHHH

Understand your issue....but the hubs are Vacuum, not pressurized...they wouldnt be blowing bubbles....they be sucking it in....????
Old 01-16-2012, 08:35 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

when your hubs decide to unlock (which may take a second) the diaphram on the inside of the hub would be moving toward the outside of the hub wich could cause a few bubbles. Maybe your axle seals are gone and you were watching your diff fill up with swamp water... Better check your fluid.
Old 01-17-2012, 06:36 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

I switch it back to 2wd in cab and then get out and turn hubs back to auto position and thats when I noticed the ford letters bubbling air, so now I assume its my hubs parts on the inside sliding back (disengaging) vacuum off. If my ford letters have cracks in them, then it would be just sucking air when in auto and 4wd. I hate to sound lazy but I like auto hubs. but I do know that manual locking hubs are the only whey to go. Thinking about putting some black RVT silicone or some tape in the ford letters to plug up cracks and see if that soles any problem, other wise its gonna be hub seals.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.