Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

NO 4 LO!!!!!!

3K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  skanj0 
#1 ·
I have a 06 f250 fx4. Four wheel high works just fine but it wont go in low. I tried 3 mph with foot on brake, but no luck. Haven't had truck very long and want to know if Axles have to be in auto or lock for low. The light on instrament panal doesnt come on when I switch to 4low, just when I go to 4high. Thanks for any help...

#2 ·
I had a very similar problem with my 2000. I have esof on the dash and auto/lock hubs. I had NO 4LO. First time at the dealer they said it was my shift motor, turns out i had a broken wire in the harness. Not sure how the harness runs in an 06 but mine rubbed through right on the drivers side fender well. There is a plate mounted to the fender where the 2 pieces of the harness connect. The 4 lo wire rubbed on the plate and broke. Might not be your problem, but if not check the shift motor if you have electric shift on the fly (esof).

#3 ·
If it is an automatic, You have to put it in neutral to get it to go into 4 wheel low. It also has to be in neutral to take it out of 4 low.

#4 ·
Haven't had truck very long and want to know if Axles have to be in auto or lock for low. The light on instrament panal doesnt come on when I switch to 4low, just when I go to 4high. Thanks for any help...
They can be in both.

#5 · (Edited)
The hubs can be in either position - auto or manual, in either of the following modes: 2HI*, 4HI, 4LO. The hubs are designed to work in the Auto mode in all conditions. Note that I intentionally used the word "designed", because they don't always work as intended. That's why Ford included the manual mode. Due to poor maintenance, vacuum leaks, and other issues, the Auto mode doesn't always engage the hubs (or engage both hubs, for that matter).

The 4x4 light on the dash is indicated by the transfer case, not the front axle. If the light illuminates in 4HI, but not 4LO, this means that your truck is not going into 4LO. I would start by checking fuses and then the wires on the back of the 4x4 switch and on the transfer case shift motor. Since 4HI engages, and 4LO doesn't, might be as simple as a bad 4x4 switch (on the dashboard).

* - Driving with the hubs locked in 2HI (assumes hard surfaces and 4x4 not needed) will reduce fuel mileage and increase wear and tear on front end components.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.