4x4 only in manuel - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2012, 11:11 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
4x4 only in manuel

Hey i just had the dealer replace both hubs with new ones. Worked 2 times, now it wont engage. If i get out and lock the hubs manuely and turn the switch then i have 4x4. The air changes temp when i tell it to and the vents change when i tell them to. Ima start by c'ing if i have vaccume at the hubs. What else do i need to check? I just switched them back to auto, and when i turned the knob on the hubs there was air pressure forced out on both of them, (where they say ford in the center of the hubs).

Last edited by ironlemon; 01-02-2012 at 11:18 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2012, 03:55 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironlemon View Post
Hey i just had the dealer replace both hubs with new ones. Worked 2 times, now it wont engage. If i get out and lock the hubs manuely and turn the switch then i have 4x4. The air changes temp when i tell it to and the vents change when i tell them to. Ima start by c'ing if i have vaccume at the hubs. What else do i need to check? I just switched them back to auto, and when i turned the knob on the hubs there was air pressure forced out on both of them, (where they say ford in the center of the hubs).
As you mentioned, start by confirming vacuum at the back of both knuckles. Remember the vacuum is just a pulse, not a constant vacuum. Have someone in the truck turn the knob while you pull the hose off each knuckle. If no vacuum pulse at the knuckle, starting following each vacuum hose from the knuckles to the tee near the starter. Then follow from the tee upward (now a gray plastic line) to where it daylights in the engine compartment (next to the AC dryer). I found that mine had made contact with the exhaust manifold which melted and sealed the line completely. I cut out the melted portion, used a 6" piece of automotive vacuum hose as a coupler for the plastic tubing, then applied a 24" length of that aerospace looking hose/wire insulation that they sell at hot rod shops over the vertical portion of the plastic tubing (where it passes by the exhaust manifold).

Good Luck!
Old 01-04-2012, 10:44 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Hey, i just pulled the line apart, near the ac stuff and used my mouth to apply vaccum and let it stick to my lip for a few minutes, and it stayed, with no loss. So now what? Like i stated before all other hvac functions work fine.
Old 01-04-2012, 04:39 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Hey, i just pulled the line apart, near the ac stuff and used my mouth to apply vaccum and let it stick to my lip for a few minutes, and it stayed, with no loss. So now what? Like i stated before all other hvac functions work fine.
The fact that your HVAC controls work normally means that your vacuum pump is working.

The "suck test" you did doesn't really mean anything, as the plastic line could be plugged, pinched, or melted solid (as mine was) below the ac stuff. Is vacuum actually getting to the back of both knuckles? Pull the rubber hoses off one at a time and check at the back of each knuckle. If no vacuum at the knuckles, then your problem is between there and the location where you did the "suck test".
Old 01-05-2012, 06:56 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

At the nuckles, doest the hose; pull off the steel nipple, or does the steel nipple unscrew. The line going down to the frame than alone the fram is ok, but thats as far as i made it.
Old 01-05-2012, 05:54 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
At the nuckles, doest the hose; pull off the steel nipple, or does the steel nipple unscrew. The line going down to the frame than alone the fram is ok, but thats as far as i made it.
Yes, the rubber hoses just pull off the steel barbs on the back of the knuckles. It's usually those rubber hoses that crack, rot, and otherwise lose vacuum.
Old 01-06-2012, 08:07 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Well it was the short rubber hose on the passengers side. Now i just need some vac hose, the size i had is just a fuzz to big. Hope that was the prob.

Thanks for all the help, im still learing how everything works on this truck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.