vibraton - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-01-2012, 02:19 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
vibraton

I have a vibration starting at 45mph. Its worse from 45 to 50 then smooths out past that. I can still feel it 75mph. I can feel it in my butt and gas peddle, not so much in the wheel. I replaced the u-joint lastnight and no difference. Any ideas on what it could be. Could this be the start of the Death Wobble?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-01-2012, 02:41 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I think death wobble would be all in the wheel to start and then turn into the entire truck shaking.

I have the exact same thing and I believe it to be a combination of wheel base and spring rate plus drive line angle. Mine is at its worse at 48 mph and does not matter if it is a steady speed, accelerating, decelerating or coasting. Mine is a "fast" vibration, like a u-joint.

What I have noticed is that it seems to be worse when the fuel tank is empty and not as bad when the tank is full. I would like to try a one piece drive shaft but can't afford the experiment to see if it fixes it.

I recall seeing a TSB about a weight that mounted to one frame rail but I can't remember what it was fixing/covering up. Maybe a dealer guy will chime in on this.
Old 01-06-2012, 05:24 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I have the same problem I'm gonna replace all my u-joints and carrier and then have my driveline rebalanced and hopefully that cures it cause it drives my crazy.
Old 01-06-2012, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntersk2k5 View Post
I have the same problem I'm gonna replace all my u-joints and carrier and then have my driveline rebalanced and hopefully that cures it cause it drives my crazy.
Let me know if that works
Old 01-06-2012, 05:40 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I remember reading something about shimming the carrier bearing if you have lifted the truck??? Not positive though, it might give you a direction to look into. I had a similar vibration that started at 57 and went away at 65. My driveshaft was out of balance. $85 later and everything is smooth!
Old 02-13-2012, 08:39 PM
Premium Member

I had the same problem...I replaced all the u-joints (3 total) and the carrier bearing. Your issue is more than likely the carrier get under the truck and inspect the rubber around the bearing for any tears mine was really bad and was the cause of the vibrations.

I replaced all three u-joints and the carrier bearing in about 3.5 hours from start to finish. The hardest part was getting the nut off the yoke so i could remove the bearing. I had to heat the nut and put a BMF breaker bar on it. The rest was easy. Also having the right tool for pressing the u-joints out helped alot.

Oh one last thing I had to readjust or align by eye the carrier bearing make certain you have it square and not kock-eyed or you will get harmonic vibs.

Good luck and if you have questions let me know I will try to help in any way.
Old 02-22-2012, 01:20 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I have a 2004 f-350 x-cab. My truck was doing same thing vibration at 45-50 smoothed out a little past 70+. I read on this forum of the same problem so before changed u-joints I had driveshaft re-balanced and new center support put on. $185.00 later truck drives like new.
Hope this helps you as it did me.
Old 02-24-2012, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brfs4 View Post
I have a 2004 f-350 x-cab. My truck was doing same thing vibration at 45-50 smoothed out a little past 70+. I read on this forum of the same problem so before changed u-joints I had driveshaft re-balanced and new center support put on. $185.00 later truck drives like new.
Hope this helps you as it did me.
Thanks for the info guys. What was the size of the nut on that yoke.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.