Electric or Pnuematic Locker - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-23-2011, 01:08 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Electric or Pnuematic Locker

Really playin with the idea of don front and rear lockers. But i Cant decide wether to go electric or pnuematic. The electric one from Eaton i saw on advertised on Truck U looks great but i cant find much on em. The guys at the shop like the pnuematic ones and thats what they push. benefit of that then is that puts an air system on board.
Next question. Does it make sense to just do a Detriot on the front or would that be too tough on the components. My only reason would be to save like 500 bucks.
Any input is welcome seeing as how I am not too well versed on diffs. I only know how they work but have never worked on em
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-23-2011, 08:48 PM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Here's my take on a pneumatic locker. If you already have a air system, use it. If you don't have air onboard, you have a good excuse to add it. As for the front if you are going to do any kind of locker it should be selectable, you could get away with the Detroit in the rear.
Old 12-24-2011, 04:02 AM

Thats what I thought for the front, just wanted to make sure. Not interested in a Detroit for the rear, although cheap, strong, and reliable, I feel as though it would be too tough on the rubber and the axels. Especially after I just handed over an arm for the rubber.
Old 01-11-2012, 03:35 PM
Premium Member

What kind of wheeling are you doing in a crew cab long bed that you need to be locked up front? Guys I know who are locked up front and rear all say the same thing, you can't steer when the ARB is on. You can turn the wheel, but you're going straight. I'm thinking that would be even more appearent in a CC/LWB.

I've got a Detroit Locker in a 14 bolt in my 1/2 ton with 38s and it is fine on the street.
Old 01-11-2012, 05:15 PM

Well when you have the best truck for pullin everybodies toys up to the mountains, and the property is probably about 40% grade with no stone, just grass and mud. gettin everything up the hill gets a little dicey. Last year at PUNKIN CHUNKIN was almost embarasing. 6 inches of mud, trailer with everybodys gear, one tire on front and one on rear spinning. was runnin BFG AT's before and hopefully these toyos help out but the Boy Scout way has to prevail. Be Prepared
Old 01-11-2012, 08:43 PM

Go for a Detroit Truetrac for the rear, smoother than the locker and very reliable!

I've had Detriot Lockers on all my old trucks and they were great but a little harsh on the street, so I am going to put a truetrac in this one! I have heard only great reviews on the Truetrac and it has no clutches to wear out.
Old 01-11-2012, 09:11 PM
Premium Member

I HATE my TrueTrac!! I wish I would have ponied up the extra 2 bills for the Detroit Locker! Turn left, mash the skinny pedal: donuts, turn right: one tire fire. Two foot a burnout, starts as two stripes, then right tire only. I've had to give the ebrake a couple of clicks creeping in 4HI to put enough friction on it to lock up off road. I slid the rear end around a left turn one nite on the go pedal, when the rear end came back the other way, that POS TrueTrac UNLOCKED, went one tire fire, the trans down shifted, the tach pegged, it was ugly. I tried to hot dog a wide right another night, one tire fire, down shift, 4000 rpm, again.

Since it has no clutches, there's no special lube, or friction modifier like a Trac-Loc or other clutch LS diff. It's a good piece until you really need it to perform because you're off road or you're trying to write your name in a parking lot. I'd put this in a concrete four wheeler or a soccer mom's Excursion, but that's about it.

We have a 14 bolt with a Detroit Locker and 38s under our 1/2 ton 4x4 and its got good street manners.
Old 01-12-2012, 11:32 AM

At first i was thinkin Detroit due to cost and reliability to perform but I too many long haul highway and round town miles and tires are so d@mn expensive so I'd like to make em last. Heard too many people say Detroits are hard on tires and axels. Unfortunately I think the whole diff project is goin on the way back burner for now seeing as how I lost one injector and am going to do all eight to say goodbye to my hard starts and now power when cold.
Old 01-12-2012, 11:37 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
What do you guys think of a Tru-Trac ?
Old 01-12-2012, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karls03 View Post
I HATE my TrueTrac!! I wish I would have ponied up the extra 2 bills for the Detroit Locker! Turn left, mash the skinny pedal: donuts, turn right: one tire fire. Two foot a burnout, starts as two stripes, then right tire only. I've had to give the ebrake a couple of clicks creeping in 4HI to put enough friction on it to lock up off road. I slid the rear end around a left turn one nite on the go pedal, when the rear end came back the other way, that POS TrueTrac UNLOCKED, went one tire fire, the trans down shifted, the tach pegged, it was ugly. I tried to hot dog a wide right another night, one tire fire, down shift, 4000 rpm, again.

Since it has no clutches, there's no special lube, or friction modifier like a Trac-Loc or other clutch LS diff. It's a good piece until you really need it to perform because you're off road or you're trying to write your name in a parking lot. I'd put this in a concrete four wheeler or a soccer mom's Excursion, but that's about it.

We have a 14 bolt with a Detroit Locker and 38s under our 1/2 ton 4x4 and its got good street manners.

Wow!!!
That is the first bad review of the True-trac that I have seen.

I have not had a True-trac before, just clutch style posis which wear out quickly on 4x4's, and Detroit Lockers which work great but are a little harsh for daily street driving, but that is a small inconvenience compared to knowing that it will ALWAYS work when you need it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.