Rear hub seal leaking. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-10-2011, 10:07 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Rear hub seal leaking.

Well I noticed gear oil was leaking from both hubs and running down my rim and tire. I went and topped off the diff (used very little oil 200ml if that). I let it sit for another day and it leaked the same. I went and found out that my vent line was clogged with some dirt and mud. I went and cleaned it out and I have left it for 2 days. Now I don't see any oil leaking but could something such as a plugged off vent cause this hubs to seep oil? I just wanna know if I should leave it and keep and eye on it or If I should get it checked out.

Last edited by 20046.0; 12-10-2011 at 10:10 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-11-2011, 10:46 PM

Lots of replies lol..

Since the vent was plugged and the air in the diff has no where to go it makes sense that the seals are leaking. I'm going to keep an eye on it.. thanks...
Old 12-11-2011, 11:09 PM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to PowerstrokeTech82787
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20046.0 View Post
Lots of replies lol..

Since the vent was plugged and the air in the diff has no where to go it makes sense that the seals are leaking. I'm going to keep an eye on it.. thanks...
drive the truck get the rear end warm and park it on the side of a hill for about 10 minutes on each side to make sure theyre still leaking.

They are easy remove the wheel remove the caliper, remove the axle and outer wheel bearing remove the hub/rotor assembly flip the rotor facing up hub down, remove the rotor take 2 lady slipper pry bars pop the seal out pull the bearing out clean the bearings in parts washer/brake cleaner, clean the spindles with light sand paper. Dont be surprised if the backing plates get screwed up while removing the rotors. Even when you adjust them down they stick to the rust ridge inside the hat of the rotor. youll need to repack the bearings with grease and use a seal installer. make sure you clean the hubs out throw the inner bearing in first then throw the seal in and put the rotor on the hub make sure it gets installed level and make sure your parts guy gets you the right seal. mine gave me the wrong seal on a few occasions. makes for a very aggrivating morning/afternoon. best to bring the seal you pull to the parts counter to make sure its correct.
Old 12-11-2011, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerstrokeTech82787 View Post
drive the truck get the rear end warm and park it on the side of a hill for about 10 minutes on each side to make sure theyre still leaking.

They are easy remove the wheel remove the caliper, remove the axle and outer wheel bearing remove the hub/rotor assembly flip the rotor facing up hub down, remove the rotor take 2 lady slipper pry bars pop the seal out pull the bearing out clean the bearings in parts washer/brake cleaner, clean the spindles with light sand paper. Dont be surprised if the backing plates get screwed up while removing the rotors. Even when you adjust them down they stick to the rust ridge inside the hat of the rotor. youll need to repack the bearings with grease and use a seal installer. make sure you clean the hubs out throw the inner bearing in first then throw the seal in and put the rotor on the hub make sure it gets installed level and make sure your parts guy gets you the right seal. mine gave me the wrong seal on a few occasions. makes for a very aggrivating morning/afternoon. best to bring the seal you pull to the parts counter to make sure its correct.
Never thought of using gravity I'll give that try once I get back home.

The installation and removal process sounds easy enough I just lack a warm garage that I can park my truck in and wrench on. I would probably take it to ford or a repair shop if it needs to be done. If it was summer I'd be all over this
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.