4 wheel drive problem - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-08-2011, 05:50 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
4 wheel drive problem

Hey guys! I have an 05' 250 SD FX4, when I turn my switch to the 4 wheel position, the AC turns off and it switches to the defroster... WTF??? It has to be some sort of Vacuum leak, but where do I start? Maybe someone has had this problem and can tell me how to fix it...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-20-2011, 04:45 AM
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

This has been covered in many threads, try the search feature. Not trying to be an ***, but allot of dialog in these threads covering this very issue and some have pics. Mine has the same problem, I simply plugged the vacumm line that goes to the front axle and utilize the manual engagement of hubs.

There are some large O rings on the inside of your front hubs that help a vacuum when you engage your 4x4. It will pulse a then automaticly pull your lock portion of the hub in. These O rings go bad on the inside of the hub and don't allow the vacuum to hold. So when you do this is throws your whole vacuum system off which in turn operates the A/C.

Trace the vacuum line up from your axle. Where it ties into the vacuum system on the passenger side of the engine compartement. You will see the little vacuum pump mounted behind the battery. Just pull the line from your axle where it T's in, and put a cap on this. Your A/C will work fine, but you will need to hop out and manually engage your hubs. Till you can get your O-Rings fixed.

Hope this helps.
Old 11-20-2011, 08:10 AM

Thanks buddy! I'm pretty new to this forum stuff and always forget about the search option. I will check into that issue. Much appreciated. P.S. GO TIGERS!!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-21-2011, 05:05 AM

Check the vacuum line line where it fits onto the nipple on the axle. Quite often, you'll find that the rubber hose has just deteriorated allowing the vacuum to leak there. Trim and refit; replace with a new rubber hose, or better yet, replace with a stainless braided hose and not have to worry about it again.
Old 11-21-2011, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davey~do View Post
Check the vacuum line line where it fits onto the nipple on the axle. Quite often, you'll find that the rubber hose has just deteriorated allowing the vacuum to leak there. Trim and refit; replace with a new rubber hose, or better yet, replace with a stainless braided hose and not have to worry about it again.
Hmm! I'll check into that today... Thanks man!
Old 11-22-2011, 02:47 PM
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davey~do View Post
That's a good idea, I totally forgot to mention checking the hose down to the axle. And I like the idea of the stainless braided hose...
Old 12-04-2011, 09:32 AM

So today I was under my truck and I noticed what appears to be a seal just hanging loosely on the front axle. This is like this on both sides. Are these seals or are these just dust shields? Maybe this is why I'm having 4WD issues??? I took a pic of it, maybe y'all can help with this one...
Attached Thumbnails
4 wheel drive problem-imag0030.jpg  
Old 12-04-2011, 09:40 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Every superduty ever produced will do that. They have an updated seal...motorcraft.
Old 12-04-2011, 09:43 AM

So is this why my 4wd isn't working properly?
Old 12-04-2011, 06:53 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by SynysterHD View Post
So is this why my 4wd isn't working properly?
No you have another problem. Whats dangling on the axle shaft is the dust seal that is supposed to protect the oil seal, which is the half that is still in place.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.