My ESOF experience - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-03-2011, 03:23 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to daveosok
My ESOF experience

First I've done quite a bit of wrenching not new to working on vehicles. Second I hate electronics mostly because I dont readily absorb capicitors, relays, current etc, I'm a machinist, turn a handle cut some metal, program a cnc cut some more metal.

My truck is a 04 F350 4x4 6.0, 116,230 miles

So my a/c goes to defrost. Search on here find everything from the comet that just passed to vacuum pump is causing it.

It all started with an annoying clunk everytime I hit a deep hole, not at fast speeds either I dont run her like shes Ivan Stewart truck.

I crawl underneath and the pass side sway bar end fitting rubber is completely gone, drivers side is well on its way.

Okay no worries Ill just get them replaced. Guy puts it up on lift the ball joints are going, drivers side has about .030 play and pass has about .010.

Ok change the ball joints too then I says. Ok calls me wheel hub assembly is bad, really bad on drivers side going on pass side. Ok change them too.

Ive done king pins before, heat and beat for hours, its fun when you're a kid but when you get older and you dont have all the right equipment its best not to jack it up (which I broke my jack trying to do you really do need a 4 ton or better )

So I order Warn hubs not thinking just called summit send me the warn upgrade kit, you want regular or premium, whats the difference, the premium seal, built stronger, blah blah blah, what are you doing with the vehicle? nothing that requires the extra $100 bucks send me the cheaper ones.

Guys get em, hey ya know this wont allow you to use your ESOF, WTF, come on all this technology just use a damn cable to engage them somehow this vacuum crap is nonsense. Ok send them back I like how much I paid some ivy league engineer to design such a sorry ares system put the old stuff back in if it aint broke or worn out.

Ok $1300.00 later which I thought was an excellent price for ball joints, sway bar end fittings, new hubs, oil change, vacumm pump.

4x4 still goes to defrost, youve got to be kidding me. I get on here read for about 2 hours and my head is spinning from all the suggestions. WOW is all I can say.

So what I did was I went out pulled the lines off the hub nipple screwed out the nipple no rust not clogged.

Ok next unplugged it from the red hose coming from the 4x4 solinoid on pass side right next to battery (ford engineers once again can you get it any closer without having to take the damn battery out?). I cleaned the end of the hose off and created a vacumm (I aint gonna tell ya how were all gear heads and I know the comments would be rather revealing about ones state of mind).

Capped off end of line with thumb counted 30 seconds and release next to ear heard sound of air movement indicating it held a vac.

Ok pulled off hose going to pass side of firewall I assume to the climate controls since there vac operated? Created a vacumm there could created pressure or remove pressure (you friggin dummy turn truck on and turn on climate control now cant create pressure or remove pressure) Ok no leaks.

Next check vacumm pump (remember in the $1300.00 repair I had it replaced) pump working creating a vac. Check vac canister holds vac removed hoses hear sucking sound.

Pull off cream colored cap off of 4x4 solenoid spongy thing was discolored but not dirty, pulled that off disc is still intact on one side the other side doesnt have one (ok that makes sense since it pulses).

Crawl back underneath check all tranny connections. Turk key on but not running turn esof to 4hi hear tranny noise (while driving truck I can hear and feel transfer lock in).

Red hose coming from twin hose connection going to 4x4 solenoid not drawing a vac (I hate electronics remember so im not doing any continuity checks or amps or ion flux capacitor tests) I put it back on, disconnect from hose going to hub assemblies, turn truck on (running this time) turn esof to 4hi hear transfer lock in, go back out to red hose end, no vac.

Replace 4x4 solenoid problem solved I now have 4x4 ESOF.

So if your hubs aint working and your vacum pump is unplug the twin hose segment that goes into the solenoid located directly behind the pass side battery on the fender right in front of the vac pump and find red hose that goes to the hoses that go to the hubs and pull it off, turn truck on, turn on 4hi then go and place your thumb or finger over hole or place your ear to the hole and if you hear nothing just replace the damn solenoid!!!!!

Dave
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-11-2011, 10:52 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveosok View Post
First I've done quite a bit of wrenching not new to working on vehicles. Second I hate electronics mostly because I dont readily absorb capicitors, relays, current etc, I'm a machinist, turn a handle cut some metal, program a cnc cut some more metal.

My truck is a 04 F350 4x4 6.0, 116,230 miles

So my a/c goes to defrost. Search on here find everything from the comet that just passed to vacuum pump is causing it.

It all started with an annoying clunk everytime I hit a deep hole, not at fast speeds either I dont run her like shes Ivan Stewart truck.

I crawl underneath and the pass side sway bar end fitting rubber is completely gone, drivers side is well on its way.

Okay no worries Ill just get them replaced. Guy puts it up on lift the ball joints are going, drivers side has about .030 play and pass has about .010.

Ok change the ball joints too then I says. Ok calls me wheel hub assembly is bad, really bad on drivers side going on pass side. Ok change them too.

Ive done king pins before, heat and beat for hours, its fun when you're a kid but when you get older and you dont have all the right equipment its best not to jack it up (which I broke my jack trying to do you really do need a 4 ton or better )

So I order Warn hubs not thinking just called summit send me the warn upgrade kit, you want regular or premium, whats the difference, the premium seal, built stronger, blah blah blah, what are you doing with the vehicle? nothing that requires the extra $100 bucks send me the cheaper ones.

Guys get em, hey ya know this wont allow you to use your ESOF, WTF, come on all this technology just use a damn cable to engage them somehow this vacuum crap is nonsense. Ok send them back I like how much I paid some ivy league engineer to design such a sorry ares system put the old stuff back in if it aint broke or worn out.

Ok $1300.00 later which I thought was an excellent price for ball joints, sway bar end fittings, new hubs, oil change, vacumm pump.

4x4 still goes to defrost, youve got to be kidding me. I get on here read for about 2 hours and my head is spinning from all the suggestions. WOW is all I can say.

So what I did was I went out pulled the lines off the hub nipple screwed out the nipple no rust not clogged.

Ok next unplugged it from the red hose coming from the 4x4 solinoid on pass side right next to battery (ford engineers once again can you get it any closer without having to take the damn battery out?). I cleaned the end of the hose off and created a vacumm (I aint gonna tell ya how were all gear heads and I know the comments would be rather revealing about ones state of mind).

Capped off end of line with thumb counted 30 seconds and release next to ear heard sound of air movement indicating it held a vac.

Ok pulled off hose going to pass side of firewall I assume to the climate controls since there vac operated? Created a vacumm there could created pressure or remove pressure (you friggin dummy turn truck on and turn on climate control now cant create pressure or remove pressure) Ok no leaks.

Next check vacumm pump (remember in the $1300.00 repair I had it replaced) pump working creating a vac. Check vac canister holds vac removed hoses hear sucking sound.

Pull off cream colored cap off of 4x4 solenoid spongy thing was discolored but not dirty, pulled that off disc is still intact on one side the other side doesnt have one (ok that makes sense since it pulses).

Crawl back underneath check all tranny connections. Turk key on but not running turn esof to 4hi hear tranny noise (while driving truck I can hear and feel transfer lock in).

Red hose coming from twin hose connection going to 4x4 solenoid not drawing a vac (I hate electronics remember so im not doing any continuity checks or amps or ion flux capacitor tests) I put it back on, disconnect from hose going to hub assemblies, turn truck on (running this time) turn esof to 4hi hear transfer lock in, go back out to red hose end, no vac.

Replace 4x4 solenoid problem solved I now have 4x4 ESOF.

So if your hubs aint working and your vacum pump is unplug the twin hose segment that goes into the solenoid located directly behind the pass side battery on the fender right in front of the vac pump and find red hose that goes to the hoses that go to the hubs and pull it off, turn truck on, turn on 4hi then go and place your thumb or finger over hole or place your ear to the hole and if you hear nothing just replace the damn solenoid!!!!!

Dave
You got a partnumber?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.