Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

stuck caliper

1K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  06SuperDutyF250 
#1 ·
so i was driving home today from the dealer in Long island bc i took my aunt out there to lease a 11 ford explorer, so on the way back about 20mi or so from the dealer the truck starts pulling to the left, i can smell burning brakes, as i got too about 5 miles from my house at a red light the driver side front caliper was stickin it started to smoke. so i stop let it cool then get home. The wheel is real hot and can smell burnt brakes. so i call my dealer up he says if its bad caliper its under my warranty and theyll fix it. im like great, so now about 2hrs letting the truck sit i go to my job where i have all my tools which is about 4-5miles away. I take the wheel off and remove the caliper and all. So i go to compress the cylinders and to my suprise they both went in. I took a look at the pins and they were kinda dry. i regreased them with caliper grease and put it all back toghter and did the passenger side for the hell of it. Do you think the slide pins would be enough to cause this? or is the Caliper on its way out? i had one caliper on another car sieze and you couldnt even compress it. but thats not the case here. when it was sticking i would hit the brakes and it would pull hard to the right to counteract the stuck caliper. but now after i regreased it, it hasnt done it anymore and both wheels feel the same temp and it doesnt pull anymore stays striaght. it just did this out of the blue. any thoughts? thanks

#2 ·
anythings possible when it comes to cars and trucks man. How long until your warranty runs out? I say run it til it brakes more :)

#3 ·
i have my warranty for another 34K, right now its acting perfect and actually feels like i have a bit better brakng, maybe the pins were dry and caused it to hang up :dunno: the rubber around the pistons looks pretty worn, probably gunna bring it in next momday if it stays the same...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.