Vibration at 50 mph and up - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-11-2011, 05:43 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Vibration at 50 mph and up

Hey Guys I need help
I have been chasing a fine vibration in my F250 2004 Super Duty 4x4 since I bought it in 2006. Present mileage is a nominal 58,000. Doesn't seem to be in the steering wheel. It happens wether its in drive or I slip it into neutral. It has New Tires, New Carrier Bearing, New Ujoints front and rear, both driveshafts rebalanced, replaced front hubs and I even tried installing 1/4 inch shims above the carrier bearing maxing out at 3/4 inch per the shop bulletin. The vibration still does and has always come in about 50-55 mph. Pretty much a stock truck. It is a high speed fine vibration.
What am I missing?
Ed

Last edited by Roadking; 09-11-2011 at 05:47 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-11-2011, 06:09 PM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
tie rods, bent wheel, drag link, ball joints, pitman arm, stock steering dampner is shot...

These shouldnt be problems with that low of miles but those are things to check
Old 09-12-2011, 09:12 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

^^ What he said.
Old 09-18-2011, 05:02 PM

I've got the same vibration at 55 to 60 mph. Anything found out about this?
Old 09-18-2011, 05:42 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

This truck has had it since I bought it. Two completely different sets of tires and wheels. The tie rods been replaced, drag link replaced, ball joints replaced, pitman arm and stock steering damper check out fine. Since I have been all over the front end I will move to the back. Definitely no vibration through the steering. I have read that the large damper on the rear driveshaft can be removed and improve things. So for right now no improvement but if I figure it out I will post the answer in big bold letters.
Old 09-25-2011, 06:42 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Hello, I have a similar problem. I have a 2005 F350 Fx4 supercab short bed 3.73 gear ration automatic manual 4wd 6.0 of course. A while back i took truck to shop to have tires rebalanced and rotated they told me i had a bent rim so i chalked the vibration up to that. Now i hauled a bobcat the other day and the vibration got twice as bad so i took truck to shop bought a new rim had the bad one swapped out rotated and rebalanced all the tires again and still have the vibration. The vibration is in the rear, with no tires/wheels on the truck jacked up by the pumpkin i still have the vibration. The hubs checked out good, and there were no tires, wheels, rotors on truck so that eliminated that being the cause. I pulled the drive shaft today and the u-joints feel ok, i dont feel a bind at all in any of them. I re greased up the slip yoke at the rear end and made sure it slid smooth. The vibration is between 45-60mph under 45 its fine and over 60 seems fine, even in neutral it does it. Im thinking about having new u-joints put in drive shaft and having it rebalanced all as one unit and seeing what that does? i have no up and down play at the input of the rear diff. and maybe a tiny bit of up and down at the transfercase but very minimal. what do you guys think? thank you very much. if anybody has had this problem and fixed it please let me know e-mail apoboy01@yahoo.com or even call 3307157052. I need to get it fixed, it is driving me bat **** crazy lol. thanks again.
Old 09-26-2011, 06:32 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I have the same/similar vibration. Mine is at 39-42 mph, accelerating or decelerating, and is too fast to be anything but a driveshaft. I get a second vibration at 49-52 mph that can only be described as the rear of the truck hopping. There is a little tire vibration mixed in at different speeds but the two vibes above are very consistent. I have measured angles at both the output of the transfer case and the pinion on the rear axle, they are within 1/2 degree of one another. What I have discovered is that it looks like my center bearing needs to move up. not down. Using the angle finder each half of my shaft is pointed down ever so slightly towards the bearing. In looking at my truck it looks like a tail dragger and I am currently wondering if lifting the rear of the truck with either F-350 blocks or air bags will change the angle of the shaft just enough to smooth it out. I'll post it if I get it straightened out.
Old 09-26-2011, 06:46 PM

That's good investigative work. Lets us know the outcome. I have an appointment tomorrow to have the pinion seal changed and the driveshaft changed under warranty at Ford dealer. I'll let you if that helped my truck.
Old 09-26-2011, 07:14 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

hey new to this site but read blogs all time i have 2005 f250 harley diesel getting a winding sound when i excalrate when i let off the pedal it decreases any ideas or help
Old 09-27-2011, 09:08 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Hello, So i jacked the truck up on jack stands again and put her in drive to watch the rear wheels and everything to see what was going on and something caught my eye. I got close to the wheel that i thought was giving me the problem and sat my hand on top of the brake caliper and noticed it was moving in and out quite a bit. So i thought that possibly i had a rotor that was all messed up. I have been meaning to replace them anyways so i bought new ones and still doing the same thing. I have narrowed it down to either the drivers side axle or hub. The way that it was moving up and down there are only so many pieces that would cause that to happen. so tomorrow i am hoping to be able to take bolts for axle out and slide axle part way out to be able to spin the wheel around by hand and see if my caliper is still moving in and out, if not i have found my culprit. I will let you guys know, but that is my thought, almost guarantee that the axle is bent.
The Following User Says Thank You to apoboy01 For This Useful Post:
06SuperDutyF250 (04-19-2014)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.