Gota replace Balljoints, what brand? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-26-2011, 05:33 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to drmisherre
Gota replace Balljoints, what brand?

What brand do you guys replace your ball joints with? I usually go with napa stuff but they're pretty exspensive, any brand that stands out from the crowd?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-26-2011, 07:55 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by drmisherre View Post
What brand do you guys replace your ball joints with? I usually go with napa stuff but they're pretty exspensive, any brand that stands out from the crowd?
i just used Ford motorcraft, the old ones lasted 150k. I tell you what though..it was hell, and make sure you get that wheel knuckle seal in properly, or else you will have leaks with your hubs. My local ford dealer let me use theirs for a $400 core charge. Make sure to use a very long pry bar to get the wheel knuckle seal/ axle shaft out. If you accidentally bend the brake rotor shield while pulling the hub off, there will be a nasty scraping sound, just make sure its straight before you re-install it. The lower ball joints need a ratchet wrench (don't remember the size) and a allen key to hold the joint from moving. I used a crescent and it was a b**** it took forever. That is probably more than you wanted to know, but those are some key things I wish someone would have told me when I did it! There are some greaseable ball joints made by Moog that people use, as the Fords are sealed and don't use grease. Take your time, and happy wrenching
Old 07-26-2011, 08:01 PM
Chug-a-lug!!!

I just bought both upper and lower for the just the passenger side from O'Reilly's. I bought the house brand with lifetime warranty for $50 for both. My local tire shop installed them for me for $120. There is no way I would have tried to do it myself with them willing to do it that cheap.
Old 07-26-2011, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colberjs View Post
I just bought both upper and lower for the just the passenger side from O'Reilly's. I bought the house brand with lifetime warranty for $50 for both. My local tire shop installed them for me for $120. There is no way I would have tried to do it myself with them willing to do it that cheap.
What?!?! that doesn't sound right... that is way too cheap, doing ball joints on a solid front axle is a PITA. I would double check everything lol some shops charge $120 hourly rate.. isn't each ball joint like 3 hrs?
Old 07-26-2011, 08:17 PM
Chug-a-lug!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Younger1993 View Post
What?!?! that doesn't sound right... that is way too cheap, doing ball joints on a solid front axle is a PITA. I would double check everything lol some shops charge $120 hourly rate.. isn't each ball joint like 3 hrs?
I noticed that when I was going to do them myself. I have bought tires and had alignments and front end work done at this place for several years now and never had a problem. I'm pretty sure he originally quoted me $150 for the labor. I ordered a set of tires ($1000) and dropped the truck off to have them mounted, the ball joints installed, and an alignment. He called me to let me know it was done and asked me what he quoted me. I told him I thought $150 and when I paid them the receipt said $120 labor to install ball joints. The truck drives great now.
Old 07-26-2011, 08:28 PM

Thanks Younger, I've been reading this link, Ford Super Duty Ball Joint Replacement Procedure | Superdutypsd.com and trying to get tihe tools I need and everything ready. I'm hoping they can wait till i'm in school so I have excess to the shops tools but my tires are looking pretty ****ty. On the plus side, my tie rod ends and my inner axle shaft seal are all good, so hopefully its just ball joints and knuckle seal...Any other brands than MOOG I should be looking at? Are NAPA's HD Balljoints grease able?
Old 07-26-2011, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Thanks Younger, I've been reading this link, Ford Super Duty Ball Joint Replacement Procedure | Superdutypsd.com and trying to get tihe tools I need and everything ready. I'm hoping they can wait till i'm in school so I have excess to the shops tools but my tires are looking pretty ****ty. On the plus side, my tie rod ends and my inner axle shaft seal are all good, so hopefully its just ball joints and knuckle seal...Any other brands than MOOG I should be looking at? Are NAPA's HD Balljoints grease able?
I rented the ball joint press from O reilys. I used a dewalt electric impact to press them out, it was huffing and puffing, and those poor threads were shedding on the c clamp but I got them out. I have some photos that I will post soon. And I don't know of any other ball joints than motor craft and moog. That is an excellent link to go to! Make sure you torque everything by spec as well. I'll give you a heads up, mine took 15 hrs. but the first for everything takes awhile. When you pull the axle shaft out, it is OK to have rust on it, as long as it stops where the outer seal is before it reaches the splines. Also, clean any other stray rust spots around the splines (my seals were leaking so I had a little rust)
Old 07-26-2011, 08:45 PM

I have all the tools available to me either at work(Diesel Mech intern), or at school, and what I dont have, I'll rent from somewhere. Does anyone know if Snap on or Matco or any of them have the seal driver for the knuckle seal? I looked at snap on's seal driver kit, but I don't think it comes with the right size.
Old 07-26-2011, 09:00 PM

Quote:
I have all the tools available to me either at work(Diesel Mech intern), or at school, and what I dont have, I'll rent from somewhere. Does anyone know if Snap on or Matco or any of them have the seal driver for the knuckle seal? I looked at snap on's seal driver kit, but I don't think it comes with the right size.
snap on makes it, it doesn't come in a universal kit, just the drive and the heavy azz metal donut. it retails for $430 or so
Old 07-26-2011, 09:05 PM

I get my student discounts so I'm hoping I get a decent price on them..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.