Rear calipers won't always release, new calipers needed? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-19-2011, 04:39 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Rear calipers won't always release, new calipers needed?

A few weeks back while washing my truck I sprayed the rear drivers side wheel and it steamed really bad. I took off the caliper and worked the pistons back and forth until it seemed to work fine. Friday night while towing my travel trailer the opposite side hung up and the wheel was super hot and stunk enough that my wife even noticed. The truck has 130k on her is is barely used in the winter. I had an issue with my 68 vette driver rear doing this and it turned out to be the rubber hose that connects to the caliper. After replacing the caliper and having the same issue I replaced the hose and it's been fine the last 3 years. Could the hoses have broken down on my 05 also or is it more likely the calipers?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-20-2011, 10:19 PM

the bracket that holds the caliper pins stick or seize up, you can find them as they have a small rubber boot on them and a small bolt holds them up place.

this video is how i fixed mine
Old 06-21-2011, 03:52 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

As stated above I would start there. But that didnt end up being my problem. My calipers we hanging up, both sides (replaced one then it went to the other one). From what I have heard the rear calipers on these trucks aren't the greatest design in releasing the piston. I would start with the simple stuff before replacing the caliper, but good chance is its the caliper. I had to replaced all 4 and changed the brake fluid too. I don't know too much about the bake lines on these trucks tho, if they tend to collapse or not. Good luck!
Old 06-26-2011, 06:30 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

On mine.. after I noticed they started to "smoke", I disassembled the whole thing and it turned out that there was a ring of rust on the caliper cylinder...
(which was causing it to stick in that position)

I sanded that off & regreased the whole thing with brake grease, has been working fine since.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.