Gear Chatter??? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-22-2011, 12:06 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Gear Chatter???

I hooked onto my holliday trailer today for the first time. When turning from a stop I get some chatter/vibrations. IMO I would think that it is the clutch pack in the diff. I recently changed diff fluids to Lucas syn, I added 1 bottle of ford diff additive. I do have the limited slip diff, worn clutch packs would do this correct?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-20-2011, 07:30 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I have the same issue with my F250 typically its under load while turning, does it even more when backing up under load while turning. My first thoughts were sticky clutches in the limited slip but when the truck is on slick surfaces the limited slip doesnt seem to even work just one wheel pull. I am going to open up the diff soon to inspect it and change the oil. If I find anything that causes this ill let ya know. Anybody else had this issue?
Old 08-22-2011, 10:01 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I ordered a tru trac detroit locker, haven't got it in yet but it is an awsome set-up from what I have read/heard. No limited slip additive, just oil, runs like a limited slip but when you need posi it is there in a hurry and very smooth!!
Old 08-23-2011, 04:45 AM
information regurgitator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 403Grizz View Post
I hooked onto my holliday trailer today for the first time. When turning from a stop I get some chatter/vibrations. IMO I would think that it is the clutch pack in the diff. I recently changed diff fluids to Lucas syn, I added 1 bottle of ford diff additive. I do have the limited slip diff, worn clutch packs would do this correct?
Try a few more ounces of the additive, but if it only does that when towing, add one ounce...drive the truck for a few hundred miles and see if that worked. These limited slips are a royal pain in the butt to get to work right. The tru trac is a great choice, you will love it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06BigRedPowerstroke View Post
I have the same issue with my F250 typically its under load while turning, does it even more when backing up under load while turning. My first thoughts were sticky clutches in the limited slip but when the truck is on slick surfaces the limited slip doesnt seem to even work just one wheel pull. I am going to open up the diff soon to inspect it and change the oil. If I find anything that causes this ill let ya know. Anybody else had this issue?
Your clutch pack is probably toast. You are probably going to have to rebuild your clutch pack (or go the tru trac route). Typical Ford limited grip....err slip diff.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.