Brakes Locked up - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-11-2011, 03:48 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Brakes Locked up

I had to stomp on my brakes real hard today to avoid blowing a stop sign. My brakes locked up and wouldn't release. It took a ton of power to get it out of the intersection. I tried to put it in reverse and foward to get them to release but that didn't work. Finally i shut off the truck and beat on the caliper, got back in started my truck and pushed on the brake pedal. i felt it move differently and my truck started to move. I talked to the previous owner of the truck and he said it happened to him a time or two and all he did was shut it off and turn it back on and they released. Has anyone ever heard of this, or did they just released because the finally cooled off?

thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-11-2011, 04:02 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
you in the rust belt? pads like to freeze in the brackets up here

if not you're better off just replacing that caliper
Old 03-11-2011, 04:07 PM
Banned

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via Skype™ to ToMang07
Quote:
Originally Posted by 05PHATBOTTOM View Post
I had to stomp on my brakes real hard today to avoid blowing a stop sign. My brakes locked up and wouldn't release. It took a ton of power to get it out of the intersection. I tried to put it in reverse and foward to get them to release but that didn't work. Finally i shut off the truck and beat on the caliper, got back in started my truck and pushed on the brake pedal. i felt it move differently and my truck started to move. I talked to the previous owner of the truck and he said it happened to him a time or two and all he did was shut it off and turn it back on and they released. Has anyone ever heard of this, or did they just released because the finally cooled off?

thanks

Which brakes? ALL if them, both front/back, or just one?
Old 03-11-2011, 04:54 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
i know the slide pins can sieze up and cause that problem....bump for ya
Old 03-11-2011, 05:01 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

It was the passenger side rear....heard it slide in the gravel when i pulled it to the side of the road...it has never pulled or anything so i don't think it is the slider pins hanging up on the caliper.
Old 03-11-2011, 05:05 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinner6.0L View Post
you in the rust belt? pads like to freeze in the brackets up here

if not you're better off just replacing that caliper

I do live in Northern Indiana so yeah i'm part of the rust belt. I have never had problems with them sticking before. I railed on them pretty hard i'm sure they got hot. would they friction weld themselves to the rotor by chance?
Old 03-11-2011, 05:07 PM
Banned

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via Skype™ to ToMang07
Quote:
Originally Posted by 05PHATBOTTOM View Post
It was the passenger side rear....heard it slide in the gravel when i pulled it to the side of the road...it has never pulled or anything so i don't think it is the slider pins hanging up on the caliper.
Check the pin... pull it off and look at it/lube it. It is probably dragging just enough to heat the rotor. My car recently did this... and it ended up warping the rotor.

You can try messing with it, clean the pistons and lube them... but youre probably gonna need a new one. My personal advice is but one with a waranty, and make sure you keep the recipt! I had one (aftermarket) that started leaking 8 months after I installed it.

Just remember, replace pads in pairs, (Both front, or Both rear) and ALWAYS bleed the brakes whenever disconecting any lines.
Old 03-11-2011, 05:17 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToMang07 View Post
Check the pin... pull it off and look at it/lube it. It is probably dragging just enough to heat the rotor. My car recently did this... and it ended up warping the rotor.

You can try messing with it, clean the pistons and lube them... but youre probably gonna need a new one. My personal advice is but one with a waranty, and make sure you keep the recipt! I had one (aftermarket) that started leaking 8 months after I installed it.

Just remember, replace pads in pairs, (Both front, or Both rear) and ALWAYS bleed the brakes whenever disconecting any lines.

I will pull the wheels off tomorrow and check them. I just put brakes on another car yesterday for a guy that i work with. i guess it is the week for brake rebuilds..good thing i bought the big bottle of disc brake lube.

thanks for all the help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.