Differentail making clunk noise - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2011, 11:31 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question Differentail making clunk noise

I have a 2004 f-250 super duty and I am hearing a clunk noise coming from the rear end. I hear it when I am backing up and then start to excellerate fwd. I put my emergency break on and had my wife put it in reverse and give it some throttle and I got under the truck and I heard it come from the rear end. Then I had her put it in drive and give it some throttle and it made that noise again. It only does it when you go from reverse to drive and vise versa. Once I am driving fwd it does make any noise. Also once I am going backward it doesnt make the noise. Any one out there have this problem or had this problem. I am not sure if this is something to worry about or not. If you could help me out that would be great. Thanks for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-25-2011, 06:05 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I have the same issue
I will be investigating it soon
Does yours feel like the leaf springs are loose mine does but they are tight
I am thinking Ring and pinion or slop in the chain in the transfer case
Old 03-05-2011, 10:52 PM

No I got under my truck and had my wife throttle the truck for me and I heard it coming from me differential. I took it to OC diesel and they said to start with the u-joint so that is what I am going to start with. It wont hurnt even if it isnt that. But once I get it figured out I'll let you know. If you get it figured out first let me know.

Thanks for your help
Old 03-24-2011, 09:54 AM

I took my truck to the shop and they said my axles and basicly the hole rear end was shot. They are replaceing everything and installing detroit lockers in there as well.
Old 03-24-2011, 04:50 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Just got mine back from the Dealer today
Had to replace Carrier Bearings, Pinion Bearings, Shims Since they had it apart I had them replace both Backing plates (Rusted through)
The rear is supposed to have 8000 clearance and mine had 47000 clearance

He said the transfer case still has some slop in it and the splines on the drive shaft has a little play but both are not enough to worry about

The noise/feeling is gone
Old 04-01-2011, 08:32 AM

Got my truck back after they rebuilt my differentail and installed the detroit locker. I absolutely love it. Definitly would advice to have a detroit locker installed in other trucks. Makes a world of difference.
Old 07-13-2011, 05:57 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I see this was a tread back in Jan, 11'. How are y'all's diff after this much time? I've got 130000 miles on my 05' and my diff just started doing the stop/start or revs/drive clunk. I hate it but don't have the long green to have it replaced right now. Now I'm quite machanicaly inclined and this wouldn't be my first diff rebuild and sense my previous diffs didn't blow up I'm sure I can manage this one. However, I'd like some experienced advice or preferred options if I you would please.

Thank you.
Old 07-23-2011, 12:04 PM
Premium Member

I put in 4.56 gears and detroit locker....The locker is definitely the only way to go. The stock limited slips are junk. I blew mine doing burnouts. Locker is awesome off road. Works well with towing even the heaviest load. Be prepared for clunks and noises as the are common with the locker. And don't put too much power to her in turns with snow or wet conditions or you'll go for a ride haha! Been running a locker for about 5yrs now.
Old 07-25-2011, 10:31 AM

Ya I love that detroit locker. You are very right about that locker making noise. Here I thought I was getting rid of noise but I just got more. LOL. Oh well. I just worry about when I am pulling my 5th wheel. Will it cause any damage to the rear end when I am cornering. I know not to go fast but I just think of it as being pretty much a solid axle and putting all that strain on the splines. I know the tires slip without the trailer on when I am slowly throttling around corners but how about when I have a few thousand pounds pushing down. How much weight do carry when your hauling a trailer. Did it handle well with the locker being in there. I have only towed with it once since I put the locker in there. I really didnt notice anything negitive about it. Let me know if you dont mind. Thanks.
Old 07-25-2011, 12:34 PM
Premium Member

Oh I tow a lot! I have a tandem axle trailer with a big john boat that I fish tournaments and hunt out of so almost 12 months out of the yeah. Total rig is almost 4000lbs. I'm telling you this cause I tow that much weight in the worse conditions all the time heavy snow, ice, wet conditions you name it and a lot of miles not just down the street, across most of the state of Illinois and into Michigan. NEVER had a prob with the locker and performs top notch especially towing in these conditions so don't let anybody fool you with its performance in these condition. As for bigger trailers I do that also. Hauling my 73 F250 Highboy. Truck weighs about 8000 and not sure on the trailer never weighed it but im guessing near 10,000 or so. No problems there either some noises in the turns but that's normal it will shake you up the first time you hear it sound like you broke it but it will be all good. The heavy the load I found out the more often you hear it but I don't want to make it sound like its all the time cause its not. Especially with the rig you towing not like your horsing that beauty around sharp corners anyways lol! Also tow and enclosed trailer with a mid-am race car and heavy tool box (A huge tongue load) here and there for a buddy of mine and some other large enclosed here and there all 8000+lbs. I change my oil more often then most probably due to other mods. But after all this ever time I drop the cover its good! I also have a PML pan with an auto meter diff temp guage its always nice to know whats going on with you investment. Also I don't know if you seen my signature but I am doing all this towing with 37x13.5 sooo if I do all this towing with no problems over the past 5 years with the extra stess of that wide of a tire I would say you'll definitely have no problem! Hope this eases your mind...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.