4x4 wont engage??!! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-02-2011, 04:22 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
4x4 wont engage??!!

Front hubs/4x4 Dont work while in "auto" ??

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi there,
Big snow up here in KS over the last few days...big.

Switched the "dial on the dash" to 4HI and the light came on BUT no front drive.

Pulled the hub covers off the moto metal wheels and the selector switch was in "auto"...so, I switched it to "lock" and it worked.

When I swith the "dial on the dash" back to 2wd, it does indead deselect the front wheels and works fine when I switch it back to 4hi.

However, why is my "auto" not working on the hub?
Is it okay to leave it in "lock"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-02-2011, 04:30 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

not a surprise. Common problem with SuperDutys. Its ok but you are turning the whole front driveshaft. More work and your MPGs are gonna fall. They are vacuum controlled and there is probably a leak in your lines. Make sure its not your vacuum pump. You'll know its the pump because the A/C will only come out of the defrosted. Mine does the same thing. I just get out and lock em when i need 4x4
Old 02-14-2011, 11:33 AM

I ran into the same problem last week during the snow/ice storm in DFW. I traced the problem to the vacuum lines running to the hub. I will replace the lines and hopefully it is fixed. Turn your a/c or heater to high and click over to 4-hi. If the defroster starts blowing you have a vacuum leak.
Old 02-14-2011, 12:01 PM
Premium Member

I had a similar issue and it just showed it self in the last cold week we had here in NJ. I was not able to get my auto hubs to lock in either. Now im not saying vaccum pressure does not play a role in the malfunction. However, I have noticed that with auto locking hubs you want to lock try switching from 2wd to 4wd-hi at speed. It worked for me, when I was standing still they did not lock, however at speed (20mph) They locked in fine...try it. I would still check over your system though to pin point the problem.
Old 02-14-2011, 08:16 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

definitely sounds like a vacuum leak. there are also 2 o-rings on the hubs themselves that can fail. i should say, 1 on the locking hub itself and 1 on the unit bearing. if you have a defrost problem try pulling the vacuum line off the hubs plug them and try the heater again. if no more problem, unplug one line hook it back up and repeat heater check, then switch the vacuum lines, the other side hooked up and one plugged and repeat check. youll then know which one or both hub 0 rings are leaking. if problem persists while both lines plugged, leak is somewhere else..
Old 02-14-2011, 10:32 PM

Okay, so...found out it was INDEED a vacuum leak. Had a small hole in the ol' hose. Fixed that. Then, also replaced the vacuum solenoid.

Also...on TOP of all of this...I am experiencing what I believe to be another issue!!

The "ol something is wrong with my heating and A/C dealio" problem!

Now, after the fixes...my 4x4 works fine...all is good there.

However...HOWEVER!

I do not have any air coming out of my vents...only the defrost and the lower heater vents.

What gives?
What next!?

(Mods...please move parts of this to another forum if needed)

Thanks!
Old 02-14-2011, 10:40 PM
Mod Newbie

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenc1 View Post
Okay, so...found out it was INDEED a vacuum leak. Had a small hole in the ol' hose. Fixed that. Then, also replaced the vacuum solenoid.

Also...on TOP of all of this...I am experiencing what I believe to be another issue!!

The "ol something is wrong with my heating and A/C dealio" problem!

Now, after the fixes...my 4x4 works fine...all is good there.

However...HOWEVER!

I do not have any air coming out of my vents...only the defrost and the lower heater vents.

What gives?
What next!?

(Mods...please move parts of this to another forum if needed)

Thanks!
You still have a vacuum leak. Check and see if the small grey hose is off the black heater valve that is inline with the heater hose.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.