4X4 trouble - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-22-2010, 01:56 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
4X4 trouble

This has happend a couple of times. I was trying to pull my truck to the side of the road one afternoon before I walked to my blind. There was a small ditch to my left, nothing big at all. Anyways, I pulled in there and started to back up and while in 2WD my back right tire would only spin. The truck was sort of inclined where the truck was squatting down on the left tire. I put it in 4X4 and was still having trouble getting traction. It was almost like there was no power getting to the front wheels. When I put it in 4X4 I can here it shifting in the transfer case. My truck is an FX4 so I'm pretty sure both rear tires should be spinning at all times.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-27-2010, 09:30 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crmsntide27 View Post
I put it in 4X4 and was still having trouble getting traction. It was almost like there was no power getting to the front wheels. When I put it in 4X4 I can here it shifting in the transfer case.
The ESOF point of failure is generally the vacuum system. They pump isnt able to generate enough vacuum to lock in your front hubs. Generally thats from a vacuum leak where the hose enters the hub or from the seals leaking. Inspect your hoses where they enter the hub and if you dont find anything there, use a vacuum gauge to try to hold a vacuum on your seals. That should tell you where your issue is. There can also be a couple of other causes but these two will be the most common. Eliminate them first. Other than that, make sure you lock your hubs in manually before you get in a situation you could get stuck in. It wont hurt at all to just leave your hubs locked in the whole time you are on your lease.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crmsntide27 View Post
My truck is an FX4 so I'm pretty sure both rear tires should be spinning at all times.
Most likely it is. Check your door tag and look for "373L" I think it is. The "L" indicates limited slip. Personally, I think 75% of the problems with the limited slip systems is the fact that Ford puts in too much anti-friction additive (8 oz. or so I think?) to eliminate customer complaints with the binding in turns. Drain your differentials and replace with fresh oil of the correct weight and start off with half of what Ford calls for (4 oz. I believe). Try that, and if your differential binds any in turns just add a bit more additive till the binding problem goes away. Either that or just use a good synthetic like amzoil of the correct weight that doesnt need an additive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.