4X4 problems.. need suggestions - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-09-2010, 02:29 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
4X4 problems.. need suggestions

So I brought my truck (2003 F-350 electric 4wd shift and auto hubs) down to the OBX to fish from the beach and didn't make it but about 40 feet into the sand before I started digging holes but just with the back wheels. A nice guy with another F-350 pulled me out. I searched on here and found a couple of threads that seem like my problem but not many solutions.
Here is what I have done so far.
1- I turned on the air full speed and put it on the vents and switched it to 4hi. After about 2 minutes of driving it would switch to half defrost/half vent???

2- After driving around turning to 4hi back to 2hi about 10 times I rounded a corner and started hopping the front tires in 4hi.

3- Once back at the house I had in 2hi and could hand turn the front drive shaft and each one of the front axles. I switched it to 4hi and everything locked up

4- When it was stuck in the sand the front drive shaft WAS turning but not spinning the front wheels. And the wife said it sounded like a clicking sound from the front. I couldn't hear it in the cab. (I didn't think about looking at the front axles at the wheels)

So after all that I can't decide if it is bad hubs or if they were stuck and after driving around messing with them they unstuck. Also, I don't know what to think about the half vent/half defrost in 4wd. I know that sounds like a vacuum leak but its still going in and out of 4wd????? Does anyone have any experience like this. I am probably going to go to the warn eventually. Just after Christmas. OR... maybe the fat man in the red suit will bring me some! Help please... its driving me crazy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-09-2010, 06:31 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

possibly something in the vaccuum system which would explain both the hubs not engaging and the air vents. it could be a leak or the pump. also, driving around in 4wd when you have good traction(road) is a bad idea.
Old 10-10-2010, 05:26 AM

Atvrider93, thanks. I wasn't just driving around in 4wd for the hay of it, hahaha. I was just trying to make sure it was going in and out and i DANG sure wan't going to get back out on the sand to try it! The first time to get off the sand cost me $50. Once I get home I am going to take apart the hubs and clean and re-grease, get some new hub seals and work my way backwards from there. Also, I just did the EGR delete and was laying and crawling all around the engine bay.
One last question. Does the vacuum pump build up enough to shut off or does it run non stop?
Old 10-10-2010, 05:46 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

I *think* it runs pretty much nonstop.
dont grease the hubs. just clean them out and douse with wd40.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.