Lost brakes today. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-23-2010, 07:05 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Lost brakes today.

I was leaving a house after mowing my first yard of the day, loaded up and headed down the street. I applied the brakes, pedal went straight to the floor. I knew something was pretty messed up, so limping back to my house to switch out trucks, I wondered how much I was going to have to spend. Got back, looked under the truck, back right wheel was soaked with brake fluid, and still dripping off the caliper.

Got it towed to Mid Tenn Ford, basically the inside pad was gone, missing, off the truck, so the pistons were digging into the rotor. Ruined the caliper and rotor on the passenger side, so getting two new calipers for the rear as well as rotors and pads. It sucks cuz I was just about to order my SCT and EGR delete. But it's going to cost $800 bucks. I though about doing it myself, and very well could but I don't have the time this weekend and need to truck back by Tuesday.

What I was wondering is how the pad could just vanish, I had the truck inspected when I bought the truck in June, brakes were good from what I saw and my mechanic said they checked out. I never felt the brakes drag, grind, or anything. I haven't even stood on the brakes in a burnout yet Anyone ever heard of such a freak thing??

Sorry about the story book, I get carried away...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-23-2010, 07:19 PM
Banned

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
are you a hard breaker or break a lot when driving?

nothing really can explain rather than it dragging or a bad rotor chewed up the pad.

did you feel the pedal puse?
Old 07-23-2010, 07:29 PM

Nope pedal feel was good since I've had the truck, and I try not to slam the brakes on, I normally have a trailer full of mowers so I try to keep my distance.
Old 07-24-2010, 04:46 AM

A typical occurrence from the sliding pin(s) being rusted, and to a lesser extent caliper piston(s) stuck. The typical way to inspect the pins is to unbolt the caliper and move them.

Due to frequency of sliding pins freezing on these truck it's a good idea to check them every two years. It takes a little time but as you are finding out it's expensive when they do not work right, and it only takes a short time before everything disintegrates.

Another thing to check but it takes some work is the rear brake line rusting through behind the fuel tank after 5-6 years in the rust belt part of the country.
Old 07-26-2010, 10:24 PM

Picked up the truck this afternoon, 819 dollars later it's good as new. They replaced right rear caliper, both rear rotors and pads. Also the right axle seal was busted, replaced that along with toping off diff fluid and brake fluid. It stops much better now that it has a pad in between the piston and rotor
Old 07-26-2010, 10:25 PM
Banned

ouch man but glad it works!!!
Old 07-26-2010, 10:33 PM

Yea I hated paying for it, but I had ZERO time this weekend and needed it by tomorrow for work, I am helping my parents tear their only bathroom with a shower out, so we had to get it done this weekend so they could have a place to shower again . But any other weekend I would of done it myself. Next time!
Old 07-26-2010, 10:34 PM
Coal Rolling = Posing

That sucks man. My truck needs new rotors in the back. Hoping to get to them before they ruin my calipers.
Old 07-26-2010, 10:37 PM

I strongly advise to do so!! As long as the pads don't have a Vegas style magic show you should be good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chvyrkr81 View Post
That sucks man. My truck needs new rotors in the back. Hoping to get to them before they ruin my calipers.
Old 07-26-2010, 10:42 PM
Banned

a garden hose works for showers

what is it with rear rotors? i had mine replaced when i bought the truck. pulsed bad off the lot. lol

Last edited by Jarrod B; 07-26-2010 at 10:57 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.