shaking under acceleration - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-11-2010, 08:09 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
shaking under acceleration

03 f250. 6.0 fx4
whole truck shakes when accelerating under normal circumstances and smooths out around 50-55 mph.

-ball joints are not the problem, they are new
-brakes are not the problem, they are new
-front sway bar has new polyurethane bushings on mounts and links.
-rear driveshaft has newer u-joints. these are moog installed about 40k ago and are greased every 3-4 months.
-tires have been balanced and rotated every 5000 miles. i had this done when problem first started and it didn't change.

my suspicion is that one of the rear driveshaft u-joints is bad, but i don't know how to check them.

any help would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-11-2010, 07:46 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Take the shaft to a drive shaft shop if you suspect it is the cause and have it checked, some joints only have load issues and will not feel bad to the touch or feel unless they are in a torque load. Hope this helps.
Old 07-11-2010, 07:55 PM
Serving Our Country!

I agree, you could have a shop look at it. If you want to do a quick check on your own, listen for the CLUNK sound when you put it in gear or go from reverse to drive. By the time the U-joints get to the point of vibration, you can hear the distinctive clunk sound. You could even have someone shift it in and out for you while you look at it and listen.
Old 07-17-2010, 03:46 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

found the problem. brand new u-joint is going bad already, how cute.
Old 07-17-2010, 03:51 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

so what would be a good brand of u-joint to buy so this don't happen again. i am pretty sure the last u-joints i bought for the rear driveshaft were moog, but i am not sure. whatever it is only lasted 30,000 miles, and were greased at every oil change.
Old 07-18-2010, 02:27 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbisme View Post
Take the shaft to a drive shaft shop if you suspect it is the cause and have it checked, some joints only have load issues and will not feel bad to the touch or feel unless they are in a torque load. Hope this helps.

Could this explain the shuddering I feel when accelerating up a hill in the 40-50 mph range only when towing a trailer? It never does it unloaded, and doesn't even do it when accelerating on flat ground while towing the boat.
I have never noticed a 'clunk' sound when going from drive to reverse, but I do feel what could best be described as slop in the drive train every time I come to a complete stop and then go.

If so. I'll add it to the list to be looked at this week. Second time towing the boat, second time it has to go to the shop. Last time was the HPOP, this time, it's a brake caliper hanging.
Old 07-26-2010, 02:46 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

so i figured out this one. the rear most u-joint didn't have a hole going to one of the ends for the grease, so only three sides of it were getting greased. completely wasted the one side, almost no needles left in it. it appeared that the hole was never drilled through the center of the cross on one side. i should have taken pictures, but that would have been smart.

i won't say whose u-joint it was but it was made in the USA, i did not buy an economy hong kong buffet part
Old 09-05-2010, 07:30 PM

So'd this fix your problem? My truck was shaking under acceleration, especially going up hills... and it was an injector that had gone bad.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.