ABS light - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-08-2010, 10:04 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
ABS light

So today my ABS light came on. My breaks do squeak but that seems to be something common with the 05-07 when lifted, and they only squeak at if im pressing the pedal medium, lightly or hard they dont squeak. So any ideas of why my ABS light came on and how i should go about tackling this problem? Should i not drive it?

thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-08-2010, 11:15 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

its fine to drive just your abs system will not function, braking will be normal except chance of lock up. the way to diagnose abs is just the same as a check engine light, it sets a code and thats what you would use to diagnose. usual problems are bad wheel speed sensor or if your red brake light is on (reservior could be low, or on in general) the abs light will also be on. you're going to need a scanner to check and see what code is set for abs.
Old 07-09-2010, 03:36 AM
Almostdunfukinwidit

Send a message via Yahoo to Dave
Take it to the dealer have em pull codes. That will tell your which of the 3 sensors is bad.

ABS will still function with the light on. Just the wheel with the bad sensor wont function quite right.

If its the front wheels the sensor replacement process on the 05-07 trucks is this.

Jack the truck up. Put that axle on a jackstand.

Remove that wheel.
Remove brake caliper
Remove Caliper Mounting Bracket.

The ABS sensor is on the top of the hub. remove and replace
Old 07-09-2010, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
Take it to the dealer have em pull codes. That will tell your which of the 3 sensors is bad.

ABS will still function with the light on. Just the wheel with the bad sensor wont function quite right.

If its the front wheels the sensor replacement process on the 05-07 trucks is this.

Jack the truck up. Put that axle on a jackstand.

Remove that wheel.
Remove brake caliper
Remove Caliper Mounting Bracket.

The ABS sensor is on the top of the hub. remove and replace
Nice sounds easy enough,

Thanks for the replies guys
Old 07-13-2010, 05:36 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I know you have an '06, but not sure how many miles you have on the truck. (This is only if one of the front ABS sensors has gone bad) Since you have it torn apart and those front sensors are expensive, you might want to consider doing your hubs...just a thought
Old 07-21-2010, 05:55 AM

i hooked it up to code reader at advanced auto and it had none ?
Old 07-21-2010, 08:15 AM
Premium Member

The code readers that they have are absolute junk, all they can read is Check engine lights. You can do one a few things,

1. Get on the horn with people in your area and find someone who has a good code reader, one that will do diagnostics, view parameters, buzz test, all that good stuff and see if they will scan your truck. (this will be your cheapest option) I have a good friend on here that met me and scanned my entire truck for me for free, but I still paid him. He has an Autoenginuity (best bang for the buck...around $360)

2. Put a deposit on a scan tool from oriely's...the one near my house has a decent one that they loan out.

3. If I were you and had the money I would order an Autoenginuty scan tool ( it is software that goes on a laptop) it will seriously pay for itself

4. Go to the dealer...I don't recommend this. I went before my friend scanned mine and all I asked for them to do was to Read the ABS code to me....they returned with that will be $90. I laughed and walked out. So 4 trips to the dealer to get codes read and you can buy a scan tool....better yet you can make a little side dough off of it here and there to offset the cost more.

Hope this helps....

also there is a abs sensor on top of the rear diff...take it out clean it and reinstall. They get small metal shavings on them (common) and the shavings set the sensor off. A new one is like $18-20 at a parts store. The front ones are around $100 depending on where you go

The ABS system is good and bad on these trucks, it doesn't take much to set them off but the good thing is, the truck runs a diagnostic every 5 mins so after you do some trouble shooting, give it time and drive it down the road and back to allow it to reset the light. Just replaced my front 2 hubs and sensors because the left front went out...it took it 5 mins or so to go out after replacing it and has been off ever since

Sorry for the long winded post, just trying to help you out
Old 07-21-2010, 08:54 AM

Need the dealer scanner or an Auto Enginuity. In addition to the wheel speed sensors, could be brake peddle position sensor, brake booster pressure sensor, and a few other things. My brake booster pressure sensor is bad, its the secondary safety to kick the cruise off if the peddle sensor doesn't work. You can check it by unplugging the harness from the booster sensor and shorting the two pins on the harness with a paper clip or piece of wire. If shorting it makes the light go out, the sensor is bad.
Old 07-21-2010, 10:08 AM

Thanks guys i will try your suggestions soon. The truck still drives great and i slammed on the breaks and its no different, they dont lock or anything. Plus now that annoying squeak went away. It used to squeak a little at like mid break pressure, i have heard others say they have this too, now not at all so im kinda happy about that.
Old 07-21-2010, 10:27 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hypersnyper694788 View Post
Thanks guys i will try your suggestions soon. The truck still drives great and i slammed on the breaks and its no different, they dont lock or anything. Plus now that annoying squeak went away. It used to squeak a little at like mid break pressure, i have heard others say they have this too, now not at all so im kinda happy about that.
Meant to say something about that squeak earlier...that is nothing more than brake dust. Not sure how old your pads are...but shop around for some good ones when you get your next set. If they are new, I would take them off clean them with brake cleaner, clean your rotors as well. I would recommend gloves and a dust mask...that brake dust is horrible to inhale. Never use air, always use brake cleaner. Parts stores do sell anti-squeal lube for the pads, but I have never tried it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.