Texas Gun Owners - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
2nd Amendment Discuss the politics of the 2nd.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-06-2009, 07:02 AM
Gig 'Em

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Texas Gun Owners

I've posted before about the legislation in Texas that will allow CHL holders to carry on campus. Both the House and Senate bills have the backing of at least a third of the members. Unfortunately, these bills are about to be left in committee to die. Our big push right now is for the House bill to be scheduled for a full house vote. It has been authored or co-authored by 75 representatives so their is absolutely no reason why it shouldn't get an up or down vote in the House. This is the message I got from the Texas director of Students for Concealed Carry on Campus. It explains it a little more. Please call the representatives listed. It takes about 10-30 seconds to call each one.

There are five days left for Concealed Carry on Campus to continue forward in Texas. House Bill (HB) 1893, to allow those licensed law abiding adults with CHL permits to protect themselves on campus as they can everywhere else, has passed committee but must be scheduled for an up or down vote in the house by the House Calendars committee. Bills must be passed in one house by May 11th or they die and we will not have another chance until 2011. If you have not called before, or if you have called in the past, we MUST have you call now to get this legislation pass.

To be passed the bill must be set by the House Calendars Committee NOW. Please contact the following members of the committee and politely tell them how important it is to you that HB 1893 gets a vote. It is not necessary to have a long conversation, just call and communicate your support and the necessity for a up or down vote. It would be an absolute shame if a bill that has the official support of half the house and has successfully gone through committee was unable to pass only because it was never scheduled for a vote. Notice that only the last four digits of their phone numbers are different, this should make the calls a little more convenient.

House Calendars Committee

Brian McCall (chair) (512) 463 0594
Eddie Lucio III (512) 463 0606
Norma Chavez (512) 463 0622
Garnet Coleman (512)463 0524
Byron Cook (512) 463 0730
Brandon Creighton (512) 463 0726
Charlie Geren (512) 463 0610
Jim Keffer (512) 463 0656
Lois Kolkhorst (512) 463 0600
Edmund Kuempel (512) 463 0602
Jim McReynolds (512) 463 0490
Allan Ritter (512) 463 0706
Burt Solomons (512) 463 0478

I know you have seen many alerts from us before, but this is the most important one we have sent out. If you do not call these member and encourage them to schedule HB 1893 for a vote, then concealed carry on campus WILL FAIL and those on Texas campuses will continue to be without any option for self defense until at least 2011.

Please take the five minutes to call these members (and your own representative if you have not done that yet). Please also pass this message on to all of your friends and other groups you belong to. I cannot stress enough how critical it is for these representatives to hear from you. This is our last chance for two years.

Regards,
D Crocker
Texas Director,
Students for Concealed Carry on Campus
Texas@concealedcampus.org
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-06-2009, 07:10 AM
Premium Member

This has been all over the uber lib Austin news. You'd never guess it, but the T-sips don't want it. imagine that.
Old 05-06-2009, 07:20 AM
Gig 'Em

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingchip View Post
This has been all over the uber lib Austin news. You'd never guess it, but the T-sips don't want it. imagine that.
I know. I want to punch John Woods in the face. I'll have to look for the video and post it up but at a Senate hearing for their bill last week, a Senator slammed a former tu president. It was one of the funniest thing I've ever seen (particularly in the legislature).

A&M actually had a student vote to decide the student government's position on the bills (unlike at tu). We got less than a week's notice and two days to vote. Only 1/5 of the student body voted and of that 1/5 only 54% were against it. But now our student government is officially against the legislation
Old 05-06-2009, 07:26 AM
Premium Member

IMPEACH 'EM ALL !!!!
Old 05-06-2009, 07:33 AM
Gig 'Em

Quote:
IMPEACH 'EM ALL !!!!
I'm calling everyone this afternoon (because my roommate is still sleeping) and I plan on telling them that this is exactly why college students don't get involved in politics. From what I've heard from people at SCCC and my own rep's secretary, the legislators have been swamped with calls about this- for and against, so obviously it's an extremely important issue but they won't vote on it because they don't want to make people mad. WTH?
Old 05-06-2009, 07:48 AM
Premium Member

Yea, they are saving their jobs, and not representing the majority of voters. It's all about cover your azz now.

Your buddy, Elsa Moreno is sure turning the conservative base at TAMU in a hurry. It's sickening.
Old 05-06-2009, 07:55 AM
Gig 'Em

Quote:
Yea, they are saving their jobs, and not representing the majority of voters. It's all about cover your azz now.

Your buddy, Elsa Moreno is sure turning the conservative base at TAMU in a hurry. It's sickening.
A large majority of the students hate Murano. I thought it was funny at Muster. When she came up to speak she got polite applause but when Robert Gates was introduced as the guest speaker, the entire place lost it. Everyone was whooping and cheering, and his speech was absolutely amazing. Everyone misses him.

Relating to cc on campus and A&M, there was an article written by John Lott and and a few college professors in support of the bills. One of them was an Economics professor here:
Browning, Day, Grinols, Liebowitz & Lott: Allow guns on campus to give potential victims a fighting chance
Old 05-06-2009, 12:42 PM
Gig 'Em

So I wanted to bump this and give you some more info. There are 13 member of the House Calendars Committee. 7 of them are either authors or coauthors of HB1893. I was talking to an aid for Representative Kolkhorst (one of the authors) and she explained to me how the Calendars Committee works. Each of the members make a list of the bills that they want to go to the House floor for a full vote. But some members also "tag" bills, which basically means that they mark the bills they don't want to go to the floor. All it takes is one person to tag a bill to kill it. We have no idea who has tagged this bill but someone has.

Here are the 6 representatives who haven't signed on as either an author or a coauthor. If you can't call all 13, then at least call these 6 (and if they don't answer, be sure to leave a message):

Brian McCall 512-463-0594
Norma Chavez 512-463-0622
Garnet Coleman 512-463-0524
Brandon Creighton 512-463-0726
Allan Ritter 512-463-0706
Burt Solomons 512-463-0478

P.S.- Not all of the aids ask for your name or where you are from (in case anyone was wondering)
Old 05-06-2009, 12:57 PM
Premium Member

They can ask. I'm already a right wing conservative extremist, in so many ways.
Old 05-06-2009, 01:13 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I'll call them tonight
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.